Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise when i have the heater turned on

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 02:42 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs down Noise when i have the heater turned on

when i am not using the heater - no noise
when i turn it on i get a squeaking noise coming out of on side near the fan shroud, so whenever my fan kicks on theres noise
i was looking at the fan shroud and see my two fans and i am wondering is one of them for the heater and one for a/c or what
and if this only happens when i have the heater on can i replace just the heater fan component or what
thanks for future replies

Old 02-06-2009, 02:51 PM
2nd Gear

funny, this just started happening to my car day before yesterday. no idea what it is. but the same noise, on the passenger dash side correct?

Old 02-06-2009, 07:05 PM

Yep you have a bearing starting to go bad in the blower motor for the heater insine the dashboard behind the glovebox. Pull the motor and oil the bearings, also check your motor brushes for excessive wear. If the brushes get bad enough it will eat through the communtator and rendering your blower motor shot and you will need to replace it.. Brushes that are good should be no shorter than 1/2".
Good luck..

Old 02-06-2009, 07:08 PM
3rd Gear

edit: freakafter was quicker while I was checking prices....lol

Old 02-08-2009, 12:43 AM
1st Gear

"i was looking at the fan shroud and see my two fans and i am wondering is one of them for the heater and one for a/c or what "

Sounds to me like little-town is talking about the fans for the rad and condenser.

You don't have 2 fans for the heater itself.Also, I do believe they both run when the coolant is too hot, and run at high speed when the Ac is on. If the fans come on as soon as you turn on the heater, it sounds like you have the AC button pressed all the time.

Without the AC on, they should only come on when the coolant temp is above 200 or something in the rad.

One of the better Tech guys might correct me on that, the figure if nothing else.

Cheers,

George

Old 02-08-2009, 12:54 AM
3rd Gear

If the noise comes from the passenger side behind the glove compartment, then it is your heater blower motor. Here is a DIY for replacement/cleaning.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec132.shtml

If the noise is from the engine compartment, then I suspect 2 things.

1) It could be your AC condensor assembly. It should only make the noise when the AC is on. A quite noise is normal. It is pretty expensive to replace. So unless it is really loud, I would just live with it.

2) It also could be your secondary cooling fan. It comes with typically when
AC is on too. Once again, it is pretty loud to begin with. So unless it is making clunking noise or really loud hiss, I would just live with it as well.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:13 PM
1st Gear

the noise only comes on when i have my heater turned on and it does come from the front of my car and not inside the dash
any ideas

Old 02-09-2009, 04:14 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by little_town_audi_owner
the noise only comes on when i have my heater turned on and it does come from the front of my car and not inside the dash
any ideas
Heater with AC on or not on? BTW, AC is off when you have the ECON button pressed.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:15 PM

hmmm there are constant complain about the noise when the heater is on, just like mine, there was a noise coming from the passenger dashboard, and a mechanic told me it could be the blower motor, shop is charging me $400-500 and it could be higher if i take it to the dealer wow!!!! little town audi owner , hcaudikeed and me have same problem, any easy and cheap way? or we just wait for recall LOL HXGASER, has a link i checked it out and it is very helpful ......IF you are brave and skilled enough to play with it..

Old 04-14-2009, 07:45 PM
1st Gear
Default did it work for you?

hcaudikeed or little_town_audi_owner,

Did either of you figure out what the noise was? If so, what did you do to fix it?

I currently have the glove box/motor disassembled...put it back together tomorrow (I don't have any electrical parts cleaner).

Quick Reply: Noise when i have the heater turned on