Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob to the A6, Audi in general.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 08:58 PM
1st Gear
Default Noob to the A6, Audi in general.

Coming from Porsche and Subaru, so I'm very absent on Audi information!

Looking at a 2000 A6 4.2L, V8. Timing belt/pump just done, H&R coilovers, 18x9 Borbets, 255 wide tires, guy selling is a local Audi-head who is well respected.

Anyway.... if I buy, I'm going to want a louder exhaust for the car. I'm looking at options online, as well as YouTube videos. I'm seeing that a few guys took the resonators off, as well as the mufflers, and then replaced them with Magnaflow tips. Aside from amazing sound - are there performance gains with removing said exhaust parts? I know it's a V8, but, are they like muscle V8s where minor exhaust work produces noticeable results?

How reliable are the transmissions? It's automatic, with Tip. It's going to be my first automatic car, ever, so I know I'm going to want to use the Tiptronic from time to time.

Thanks in advance, guys.

Last edited by ACHAHockey; 08-15-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:39 PM
2nd Gear

the transmissions are known to have the reverse gear go out if they are left unattended and leaking. At 90K I would have the filter and fluid changed by a very knowlegable pro. FYI you must leave car overnight for that.

As for the exhaust. Trust me the first thing you want to do is invest in a Vag-Com and a bentley repair manual!

Then you can go through the rest of the vehicle servicing all the crap besides the T-B and Water pump.

i.e. Vacuum lines, all of the filters, all of the fluids, valve cover gaskets, brakes pads, CV joint boots, ... probably $600 in parts if you DIY but it takes a little time.

Nice Ride

Old 08-15-2009, 11:35 PM
2nd Gear

Tranny on these cars are known to have issues, make sure the car was well cared for. How many miles? These cars ride awesome though and the 4.2 looks great with the wide fenders and big door blades. The V8 is smooth and powerful... And thirsty these cars require a lot of attention and money. Lots if little things go/break. As for the exhaust, I would not do it for performance reasons, you'll see little gains. But it'll sound great an look better too

Old 08-16-2009, 01:00 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Jackmup
the transmissions are known to have the reverse gear go out if they are left unattended and leaking. At 90K I would have the filter and fluid changed by a very knowlegable pro. FYI you must leave car overnight for that.

As for the exhaust. Trust me the first thing you want to do is invest in a Vag-Com and a bentley repair manual!

Then you can go through the rest of the vehicle servicing all the crap besides the T-B and Water pump.

i.e. Vacuum lines, all of the filters, all of the fluids, valve cover gaskets, brakes pads, CV joint boots, ... probably $600 in parts if you DIY but it takes a little time.

Nice Ride
I think this guy may have changed all the fluids. He's a knowlegable Audi guy in the area. We have a lift at the house, most tools known to man. My dad's been racing and building Porsches for close to 35 years, I've been doing since I was 14 with him (22 now).

Never got into Audis, so I'm looking forward to it. M3s and 2002s were the closest thing we got to 4-door German cars. I read about changing the fluids, and doing the 30-second 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, N, R braking.

Just looked up Vag-Com, very cool. It's a lot like a Tactrix cable for Subaru.

Originally Posted by formulagigi
Tranny on these cars are known to have issues, make sure the car was well cared for. How many miles? These cars ride awesome though and the 4.2 looks great with the wide fenders and big door blades. The V8 is smooth and powerful... And thirsty these cars require a lot of attention and money. Lots if little things go/break. As for the exhaust, I would not do it for performance reasons, you'll see little gains. But it'll sound great an look better too
I definitely want to bring that nasty gurgle out that it has. Is what I mentioned popular among A6 owners (removing resonators and mufflers, putting in MagnaFlow tips)?

Car has 101k miles, all maintenance was done in the past 1k.

I'm not feeling the wheels 100%, I've always been a fan of darker wheels. I may keep the tires on, and just sell the Borbets for other black ones. I'm an avid autocrosser and road courser (not a word), and I use the Subaru for autocross, Porsche for road course. I'll probably give this car a few whirls around the autocross course for good measure. Really put those coils and 255s to use.