Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not Audi Related But Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 01:24 AM
1st Gear
Default Not Audi Related But Need Help

I've been trying to remove a stuck oil filter on my buddies 2000 Buick LeSabre Custom for two days now. So far we have tried a strap wrench which snapped, a pair of pliers which wouldn't grip, the screwdriver through the side trick (which only mangled the filter), a cap wrench with a ratchet and the cap broke, and using a razor blade on the gasket to loosen it up. So far none of these worked, and we have gutted the filter to the point of being able to see the thick metal ring that is pressed against the oil pan. From here I even tried putting a screwdriver into the holes of the ring and tapping it with a hammer and the thing still won't budge. I even tried taking two 3 inch galvanized screws, measuring the holes, attaching the screws to some wood, clamping the wood down so it didn't split and using it a a wrench and all I did was snap the screws. I'm entirely out of ideas, and he can't afford to tow it to a shop. Does anyone else have any other ideas worth trying?

Old 04-24-2012, 07:08 AM
RGT
1st Gear

it sounds like you have tried all my quick thoughts, not too familiar with this engine, can you unbolt and remove the part that the oil filter is attached to so that you can work on it off the car?
otherwise I have had to use a pipe wrench on that heavy bottom flange before but you need room to get it in there, might try a heavier hammer and a chissel, I have had to do that also on occasion, just be careful not to damage the mounting flange or the nipple sticking up, you might have try and make something more substantial than that piece of wood and screws. You might even try prying the remaing flange away from the mounting boss and working some spary lube in there. or resort to heat and try and burn the gasket away altogether, messy though...good luck

Old 04-24-2012, 10:55 PM
1st Gear

Well, after several hours of bleeding, cursing, and a few beers we finally came to the realization we needed professional help on this. Which to be honest is very sad because an oil change shouldn't take 3 days lol. But we ended up towing it to my friend's shop, and he got it off in 5 minutes with an air chisel for 20 bucks. Maybe should have tried that first, but now my buddy knows how to do his on oil, and learned not to take it to anyone of those 20 minute quick job places.