Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil change for 00' A6 4.2 L

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 11:56 AM
Default oil change for 00' A6 4.2 L

I just recently purchased an 2000 A6 4.2 with 90k. I bought it from an auction and right away i needed to get an oil change and possibly a tune-up. I went to a german mechanic and he told me that an oil change is about $120. I was wondering if i could bring my car to any lube shop and get a synthetic oil change for about $50 and what oil i should use. I also wanted to get a full diagnostic done and was wondering if I should bring it to this mechanic or bring it to an Audi dealership and how much I would have to pay. I also have concerns about problems that might occur in the the next year such as timing belt, water pump, etc. Since this is my first Audi and do not know much about the car, I was wondering if anyone can give me input as to what mileage will i need maintenace such as the timing belt, tunep, oil change, waterpump, etc. will occur. I would really appreciate your help!

PS: I also noticed that the car is leaking oil, any suggestions?

Old 08-16-2005, 02:27 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: oil change for 00' A6 4.2 L

you can probably get to oil change for cheaper somewhere else. my guy here in houston will do it for 60 bucks using MOBIL 1 synthec only. the 4.2 is indeed a thirsty girl requiring 7.5-8 quarts so i know you won't get it much cheaper than that. these should last you six mounths or 6K mi.

accurate diagnostic = dealership. but if you talk to enough people you may run into a guy that works/worked at a dealership and suggest that you contract him out for your own private work. (that's what happened to me thank GOD!)

i would get a tuneup/oil change ASAP if you dont have any records of the cars maintenance. whatever machanic you use should be able to pull up on the computer what maintenace you need done @ what milage. (if im not mistaken i theres one due @ 95K) the big maint. is kind of expensive though ($300-$500)

i don't think the timing belt is going to be an issue because the 4.2 has a timing chain which i think doesn't need replacing. (correct me if im wrong anyone) even if it does need to get replaced you have a while to wait on it.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:59 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: oil change for 00' A6 4.2 L

ORIGINAL: 4dot

you can probably get to oil change for cheaper somewhere else. my guy here in houston will do it for 60 bucks using MOBIL 1 synthec only. the 4.2 is indeed a thirsty girl requiring 7.5-8 quarts so i know you won't get it much cheaper than that. these should last you six mounths or 6K mi.

accurate diagnostic = dealership. but if you talk to enough people you may run into a guy that works/worked at a dealership and suggest that you contract him out for your own private work. (that's what happened to me thank GOD!)

i would get a tuneup/oil change ASAP if you dont have any records of the cars maintenance. whatever machanic you use should be able to pull up on the computer what maintenace you need done @ what milage. (if im not mistaken i theres one due @ 95K) the big maint. is kind of expensive though ($300-$500)

i don't think the timing belt is going to be an issue because the 4.2 has a timing chain which i think doesn't need replacing. (correct me if im wrong anyone) even if it does need to get replaced you have a while to wait on it.
correcting(lol)...the 4.2 does have a timing belt that needs to be replaced. there are chains at the rear of the motor holding the cams together, but up front is the actual timing chain, which is recommended to be changed by 105k miles. i just did mine at 96k because they've been known to snap quite a bit earlier.
-mike