Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil cool down -Turbo timers experience

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 10:47 AM
2nd Gear
Default Oil cool down -Turbo timers experience

There are quite few warnings and advises around in respect to cool down the oil after run on the turbo engines.
As the turbos get hot the oil could get cooked in the small piping and galleries around the engine. The result is carbon deposits that restrict the oil flow.
The oil starvation is recognized as the major contributor for turbo failures. (It’s well known fact that some A4 – 1.8T engines have design flaws and cook oil in the galleries).

Are there any pieces of information about 2.7T engine cooking oil?

As there is no pump to circulate the oil after run on turbo engines there are some turbo timers allowing the engine to run for a preset time with car key off the ignition.

I’m still on very initial stages of research about turbo timers.

Anybody with practical experience on turbo timers?

How do they go along with the immobilizer on A6?

Old 12-10-2007, 01:43 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Oil cool down -Turbo timers experience

A turbo timer is always a good thing to have even if it isn't needed. The 2.7T is a little better than the 1.8T because it has a coolant after run pump that circulates coolant throught the turbos after engine has been turned off so there isn't much worry of cooking the oil in the turbo un-less you have been driving really hard then all the sudden shut off the engine without letting them cool down. Now if your running stock K03's on a chipped ECM then i would install one just to help cool them down a little bit, it doesn't have to be that long, no longer than 20 seconds.
The immoblizer won't affect the turbo timer because once the engine is started the key has already been authorized to run the engine.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:31 PM
1st Gear

a turbo timer is a great idea but is really not needed. your oil is already cooled down threw where the oil filter goes. then there is the after run pump for the coolant. in most cases the driving you do after you beat on the turbos is enough to cool them down. it only takes a few seconds as we have such a high oil prussure system the oil circulation is quiite fast. if you are really worried and you're looking to have the car run threw a good cooldown faze. (this may sound kinda getto. but it has worked for me and I run 18+lbs of boost on my 100k mile ko3') when you get home or to your destination open the driver side door. leave the car running gather all you stuff you might gather and don't turn off the car untill the door chime goes off (should be about 45 sec more than enough time)
this has worked for me and several others.......hey don't laugh I work for the government they don't pay all that well. also as I side note I don't know anyone with a turbo timer that has not blowen there turbos as well

Old 12-11-2007, 09:41 AM
2nd Gear

Quite informative explanations. Brought me relief. It’s a matter of discipline, I believe, and luck. Thank you,

Old 12-12-2007, 03:51 AM
1st Gear

The turbo failure is why I got a 4.2...well among other things but in the end you can read every web site there is and some people have 100+k on the stock turbos with no issue some have blown there ko3's with less than 50 some people have chipped there cars and never had 1 issue and some have non chipped cars that blow the turbos. really it isa part that seems to be prone to fail. good care is always going to help but in the end it seems the turbo gods decide when it is time for the turbos to :come home:

Although I have a N/A car I would suggest good care care over a turbo timer any day