Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Light

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 01:30 PM
3rd Gear

I drive a 97 A6Q-2.8 100 miles every day - usually at 70 -80 mph and check the oil at every fillup, but only have to add a 1/2 quart every 3-4,000 miles. Yes I said 1/2 quart because my daughter lost an Audi 2.8 motor because of low oil level. The cams seized and the TB broke causing all the trouble people usually encounter. I also make sure that it is not overfilled. BTW - the current beast has over 200K on it. My previous Audi a 200QT went over 350K and I changed the oil when it needed a quart at around 7,000 miles.

As for damage - if the low pressure oil light comes on -stop driving and fix the problem - if it is an oil level light goto the nearest facility and get oil. If your confused about which is happening I'd stop driving immediatly. In most cases a solid light means stop now and a blinking light means stop soon.

If you lost enough oil in less than 200 miles to turn a light on either you have a big oil leak that should be obvious or you were not using the correct proceedure to check the oil each weekend.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:04 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by NH_USA
As for damage - if the low pressure oil light comes on -stop driving and fix the problem - if it is an oil level light go to the nearest facility and get oil. If your confused about which is happening I'd stop driving immediatly. In most cases a solid light means stop now and a blinking light means stop soon.

If you lost enough oil in less than 200 miles to turn a light on either you have a big oil leak that should be obvious or you were not using the correct procedure to check the oil each weekend.
It was after about 2,500 miles that the oil light came on and it wasn't flashing or anything. It doesn't appear to have any leaks and either my dad or I check it every weekend so i know it is being checked correctly. We are keeping an eye on it, but it appears to be okay now b/c when the light went off i was luckily almost home and had not been as far as i drive to school and when driving to college today it did fine and no lights came on, so i guess it just needed a little more oil, but we are watching it.