Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pan gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 12:00 PM
Default Oil Pan gasket replacement

How are you guys doing today? So I was taking a look under my car yesterday because some small spots of oil were showing up on my driveway and apparently I have a slow leak in the oil pan, it looks like it's comming from one of the bolts that holds it in place so I am thinking it might be a gasket issue, here is where the questions comes, should I order the new gasket and replace everything when I do my oil change or should I go with that gasket making compound that you just put on the pan and then re-attach? Also I think I'll be using Royal Purple 5-30 is it safe to use it year round? here in Utah it gets really hot in summer and really cold in winter. Any input is higly apreciated.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:05 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Oil Pan gasket replacement

I suggest getting a new seal and using a little gasket sealant. Make sure your cam seals/valve cover gaskets are leaking down the side of your engine making you think it is your pan gasket.

as for the oil? I use whatever synthetic is on sale/has rebates. Currently have Quaker State in there and it will be the last time I use that brand. I prefer Mobile 1 or Syntec when buying full price.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:24 AM
Default RE: Oil Pan gasket replacement

First of all this is just me ranting about the previous owner of my car. So I got around to do an oil change in my car and to solve the leaking issue I had been having, I tried to take the draining bolt off and it was really hard, Imean really hard, I tried for a while and could not do it so I kept on trying until it turned, when it did I heard a cracking noise and since then I thought things were not going to be fine, I could not take the bolt off, it was just going to keep on spinning, thinking there might be some other reason why it was not comming out I took the oil filter off and drainned most of the oil out of there, finally I get to take the oil pan off andOHH SURPRISE, the oil pan is welded from the inside, the reason why I though was leaking from the gasket was because close to that bolt the whole where you put the screw there was some more welding that was cracked and to top it off, the draining bolt was welded from the inside to the oil pan and I cracked the oil pan while trying to get it out. Now I have to wait until a new oil pan gets here which at this point might not be until next thursday. I just wish I could have had some warning, I mean the previous owner could have just called me after I bought the car and tell me what was done to the oil pan that way I could have bought the parts before tearing stuff apart but oh well, just wanted to get it off my chest.