Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Outside tire wall wear

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 04:03 PM
1st Gear
Default Outside tire wall wear

So I'm having uneven tire wear but it's only on the outside and only on the front tires. Now I've already done a alignment so i know it's not that. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks much

2001 audi a6 2.7t

Old 09-21-2011, 07:11 PM
1st Gear

Probably time for struts and/or alignment, or tie-rod ends and of course new tires.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:13 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

mine does (is doing) the same thing. seems pretty even on each side. just had new TRE and some control arm work done on one side, result of a close encounter with a curb. doesn't (didn't) seem to have any effect. My going theory is that it is a result of weight shift when turning (?)

like to see some other opinions, diagnoses, etc.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:34 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by altonachrome
Probably time for struts and/or alignment, or tie-rod ends and of course new tires.
Thanks. I did a alignment already so I know its not that, i'll probably look into the tie-rod ends/struts and see how those look!

Originally Posted by 02A6Beau
mine does (is doing) the same thing. seems pretty even on each side. just had new TRE and some control arm work done on one side, result of a close encounter with a curb. doesn't (didn't) seem to have any effect. My going theory is that it is a result of weight shift when turning (?)

like to see some other opinions, diagnoses, etc.
Are yours only on the outside? The middle and inner of the tire still look BRAND NEW, outside is what looks bad. I'll throw up a picture tomorrow to hopefully really show exactly whats going on!

I as well would like some more opinions! :]

Thanks guys!

Old 09-21-2011, 10:54 PM
1st Gear

Worn out control arms will make the tires wear faster on the outside. And if your control arms are bad they will ruin ur alignment real quick. Also it could be as simple as not Having enough air in the tires. Saggy tires put more pressure on the outside.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:01 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

Originally Posted by dmasteR
Are yours only on the outside? The middle and inner of the tire still look BRAND NEW, outside is what looks bad. I'll throw up a picture tomorrow to hopefully really show exactly whats going on!

I as well would like some more opinions! :]

Thanks guys!
mine don't look quite brand new on the middle and inside but there is significantly more wear on the outside of the front tires, both driver and passenger sides. I'll definitely have to look into the control arm thing. I have the "rattle" going over bumps.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:30 PM
3rd Gear

I installed new Coopers a couple years ago and had the front end aligned at the same time. I experienced both (one) tire failure and after a trip to SC, real bad wear on the outside almost on the sidewall. After re-checking the alignment (it was still dead on) I took it back to Discount Tire where they told me that some tires don't work well with quattro and I should have bought Continentals. I pointed out they should have told me this BEFORE I bought the Coopers, and they took them back and it only cost me $180 for a set of Contis. I also decided to get new rims, although there was nothing wrong with them other than a slight bend in one rim. Long story short, I have had no unusual wear with the Contis and have over 20k on them at this point.