Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheated, possibly melted gasket, and a syrup-like smell: what to do next?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 10:51 AM
2nd Gear
Default Talk is cheap time to start walking

You need to stop messing around and get serious.
Pull all of the pretty little covers off the car and LOOK LOOK LOOK for a coolant and oil leaks use a little mechanics mirror to see the blind spots and get underneath it and look for drips hanging of the bottom then at least you know something is leaking. Check all of your oil and coolant levels frequently are they low it has to be going somewhere. Start the car and put your nose to the exhaust pipe does it smell sweet? The overheating can cause any of the gaskets or o-rings to fail whether they are coolant or oil. By the way HOW HOT DID IT GET??? , for how long? I would check your hoses, plugs, and water pump gasket. The small plugs in the cooling system have o-rings or rubber seals that could fail causing a little to seep as you drive. You would notice a light colored buildup around them. Valve cover gaskets could leak a little and definitely the seals. Does your Belly pan have oil on it? How about the driveway any new spots? And for God sake would somebody do a compression test here. To do that you need a compression tester disconnect all of your coils and injector terminals. Pull the coils and plugs and one by one test and record the compression in each cylinder injectors and go one by one if it's not bad you may have to do a pressure test. Visually inspect for leaks and repair them first. Check for codes as well any of your sensors, wires, or vacuum lines could have gotten fried.

If you aren’t comfortable with the comp. test at least check for leaks Anyone can do that.

Give us some Intel to go on. If you bring that in to have the head gaskets changed your getting them needum or not so lets do some diagnostic work first.

Like a Warshack test
The first thing I think of when you say your wife overheated your aluminum and plastic engine is warped aluminum heads. But there could be other reasons for the smells and we can't look at it for you and I can't afford smellavision yet. I'd say that most of our lovely wives are not shutting the car down and letting it cool down before limping it two minutes at a time to someplace safe to get help. Not to mention ever reading those needle things that light up in front of them sorry that’s our thing baby.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:17 PM
1st Gear

Just to close this thread, it was in fact a blown head gasket.

After going to a dealership (Rector Audi in Burlingame, ca) they determined that the head gasket had likely failed naturally (or i suppose, unnaturally) rather then due to an overheat - which did not happen.

Apparently though, Audi warranty fought them pretty hard on covering the repair, but they eventually did.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:55 PM
2nd Gear

So you got em. Hot damn! you made my day.

That's 1 for us 24,567,254,2558 for them.

at a boys, we've got em right where we want em
movin in slow for the kill.

My day at Audi was the opposite. Left bleeding with nothing fixed again. Next time I'm bringing a Sharpie and writing UN-before repair shop because that's what it is. SAD

Old 06-12-2009, 11:54 PM
4th Gear

Glad you got it fixed and thanks for letting us know...