Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0221 Throttle Positioning Sensor Code

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 08:35 AM
Exclamation P0221 Throttle Positioning Sensor Code

Hello,

I have an 01 A6 2.7t, and driving yesterday, I hit the gas hard to beat the light. As soon as my RPM gauge hit 4500, three yellow lights lit up, the ABS EPS, and i dont recall the third. When this happened, my rpm's dropped to 3000 eventhough i did not release the gas. I would hit the gas, and nothing happened, i would accelerate, only very very slowly. I pulled over and turned off the car.

After a minute, i turned it back on, and the EPS light turned off. Re-started the car again, and the other two went out. The only light on at this point was my CEL.

I started driving, and my car seemed fine. half a mile later, car did the same exact thing. Two restarts, and the car was fine again.

Drove to Autozone to get the CEL checked, and it came up as P0221 Throttle Positioning sensor.

Anyone have any idea how to go about fixing this?

ANY input is appreciated.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:10 AM
1st Gear
Default Throttle Posititon Sensor P0221

Hi, TwinTurboSixer

You might try resetting the, "Throttle Valve Control Module". Its not done mechanically, instead its a procedure that is done electrically because these cars are drive by wire, meaning there is no cable connected to the throttle pedal and leading to the throttle body.

To do this, you need to switch the ignition on the car to the "run" position, but be sure not to move it all the foward and activate the starter. Then you simply leave the car in this position for 3 to 5 minutes and allow the ECM to reset the Throttle Valve Control Module.

Once this is done, the procedure itself may clear the CEL or you may have to disconect the battery to reset it prior to starting the procedure... or do it with an OBDII Scan Tool.

Give it a try and let me know whether it works. Good Luck!

Old 05-06-2009, 11:23 AM
1st Gear
Default Throttle Position Sensor P0221

Hey TwinTurboSixer,

If that procedure doesn't remedy your problem, you should check your, "Throttle Position Sensor" to ensure that its not come loose or has had its wiring connector pulled loose. This sensor is attached to the upper left part of your accelerator pedal and is located in the drivers floorboard up under the dash.

Worst case scenario... you might just have to break down and buy a new throttle position sensor.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:29 AM

thank you very much for the help. I will give this a try tonight and let you know!

Old 05-06-2009, 01:33 PM
3rd Gear

I thought the sensor's location is on the throttle body itself. Are the C5s different?

Old 05-06-2009, 03:22 PM
3rd Gear

Here's the TPS (Part # 078 133 154)
-
-

-
-
There's also another sensor/switch on the TB (probably the one controlling the Cruise Control butterfly flap? ):
-
Name:  ThrottlePositionSensorB.jpg
Views: 21339
Size:  57.7 KB

Old 05-06-2009, 07:09 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by TwinTurboC5
Hi, TwinTurboSixer

You might try resetting the, "Throttle Valve Control Module". Its not done mechanically, instead its a procedure that is done electrically because these cars are drive by wire, meaning there is no cable connected to the throttle pedal and leading to the throttle body.

To do this, you need to switch the ignition on the car to the "run" position, but be sure not to move it all the foward and activate the starter. Then you simply leave the car in this position for 3 to 5 minutes and allow the ECM to reset the Throttle Valve Control Module.

Once this is done, the procedure itself may clear the CEL or you may have to disconect the battery to reset it prior to starting the procedure... or do it with an OBDII Scan Tool.

Give it a try and let me know whether it works. Good Luck!
Good info, but you are missing the fact that you have to disconnect and reconnect the battery before the throttle body to go through the calibration.