Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0432/P0422 codes

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 12:49 AM
Default P0432/P0422 codes

Hello,

(see vehicle description below)

I'm looking for a good workaround to remedy the above codes via the local VW dealer. The dealer does work on out-of-warranty Audis. From what they tell me, the above codes refer to bad catalytic converters

P0432
- Main catalyst Bank1 -- eff below threshold

P0422
- Main catalyst Bank2 -- eff below threshold

2000 A6 4.2L Quattro (no heated seats, boohoo)

Their solution is to replace both cats, to the tune of $2000 parts and about $800 labor. He said they were dirty and/or the platinum is worn away, and nothing can be done other than replacement. I know dealers never repair anything, and that replacing parts is worth $95/hr to them. Since that is not an option, I was hoping someone could help think of a workaround or alternate solution. I don't want to drive the vehicle if that will hurt it further.

Could something else be done to the cats with a cleaner/fluid to remove/clean any dirt or build up?
Could the cats be cut out and straight pipes put in their place? I live inMiami(Floridastopped testing for emissions about 5 yrs ago). What kind of effect would that have?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

**Also, the driver's side front seat might have a loose bolt -- it actually rocks a fraction of an inch each time brakes are applied, so entire seat tilts forward slightly, then rocks back into place. I will look for bolts that need tightening, but if there is anything you can think of, it would help.

Thanks!!

-=K=-

Old 01-11-2007, 01:49 PM
AQ6
1st Gear
Default RE: P0432/P0422 codes

How about after market cats???
Or you could remove them and go with staight pipes but I think there are two problems.
1 You are polluting the enviroment
2 O2 Sensors. No way to hook them up.
Do a search there are posts of someone who removed the guts of the cats. My recommendation, get new cats.

Good luck

Old 01-11-2007, 02:15 PM
2nd Gear

Don't remove your CATS...You are polluting the environment and more importantly you will have no place to hook up O2 sensors as previously stated by AQ6. You will be throwing codes and CEL's all the time. Who knows what other effects this has on the overall system. Do not enagage the dealer any further. Go to a well-known trustworthy muffler shop and have the OEM's replaced with aftermarket CATS. Magnaflow makes a nice setup and your O2 sensors will plug right in. Then have them cut out that heavy/restricting resonator which will make the sound of the exhaust more appealing and some people who have done it say improved power, lower oil temp etc.It will be cheaper to go aftermarket than new. Just my .02 cents

Old 01-11-2007, 10:08 PM

Thanks a lot for the quick replies. Others have confirmed your recommendation not to cut out the cats as well. Removing the guts of the cats would be possibletoo, but how easy is it to find a shop that will do this?

Any ideas on the seat bolts?

Would you know roughly how much aftermarket cats would cost? Does the current CEL mean that anything bad can happen to the engine? The sound of the exhaust would be a lot louder? For me this is not important, since I don't race the car. In fact, it's understated power and grace are appealing to me.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:29 PM

BUMP

Ordered some BG 44K, due to arrive later this week. Did some additional research which celebrated the positive effects of this additive on carbon deposits throughout the system, including engine and exhaust. Let's hope the cats were throwing the CEL due to the deposits further up the line toward the engine.

BTW, battery disconnect temporarily removed the CEL (25 miles only), which later returned.

Hope it works, because ConverterGeeks.com is hoping I'll call back to order OEM/aftermarket Cats from them.

If anyone can relate their experience, it sure would help.

Thanks,

-=K=-

**be on lookout for new tech article -- A6 4.2L - Replacing Alarm/Trunk release buttons (along B-pillar)**

Old 11-06-2014, 09:19 PM
1st Gear
Default Me Too!

2000 A6 Quattro 4.2L has same codes. Please advise?

Originally Posted by kaminar
Hello,

(see vehicle description below)

I'm looking for a good workaround to remedy the above codes via the local VW dealer. The dealer does work on out-of-warranty Audis. From what they tell me, the above codes refer to bad catalytic converters

P0432
- Main catalyst Bank1 -- eff below threshold

P0422
- Main catalyst Bank2 -- eff below threshold

2000 A6 4.2L Quattro (no heated seats, boohoo)

Their solution is to replace both cats, to the tune of $2000 parts and about $800 labor. He said they were dirty and/or the platinum is worn away, and nothing can be done other than replacement. I know dealers never repair anything, and that replacing parts is worth $95/hr to them. Since that is not an option, I was hoping someone could help think of a workaround or alternate solution. I don't want to drive the vehicle if that will hurt it further.

Could something else be done to the cats with a cleaner/fluid to remove/clean any dirt or build up?
Could the cats be cut out and straight pipes put in their place? I live inMiami(Floridastopped testing for emissions about 5 yrs ago). What kind of effect would that have?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

**Also, the driver's side front seat might have a loose bolt -- it actually rocks a fraction of an inch each time brakes are applied, so entire seat tilts forward slightly, then rocks back into place. I will look for bolts that need tightening, but if there is anything you can think of, it would help.

Thanks!!

-=K=-

Old 11-07-2014, 12:33 PM
3rd Gear

I had the same codes and replaced with Billy Boats. Also replaced all O2 sensors with oem Bosch. Still have the codes. :-( Real waste of $2500.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:17 PM
1st Gear

my mechanic put some type of spacers on the O2 sensor. its a workaround but he won't tell me what he did. I saw him do it and tried to take a picture but was told to step back because its not a legal mod. no more cel

Old 11-12-2014, 10:07 AM
3rd Gear

Probably anti-fouler bungs. I had bad cats and replaced them with Billy Boats, but the codes did not go away. Tried the anti-fouler bungs which supposedly move the O2 sensors a little out of the exhaust stream but they made no difference. The only cure for OOOO MIL codes is a 1" square of black tape applied over the light.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:27 AM
2nd Gear

I got the APR stage 1 with the test pipe programming. Removed the CEL for good and increased performance. You can either leave the cat setup as is or remove them/gut them (which is what I did). You still need the O2 sensors plugged in and working but that's not a big issue.