Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0730 Incorrect gear ratio- Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 09:16 PM
Site Moderator

You can remove the tail of the trans if you want to make it easier to work on a bench, but to get the clutches out you don't need to remove it. I probably would just because it makes it more managable.
As for the torque converter, maybe someone else can chime in. I haven't really looked.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:31 PM
2nd Gear

http://www.atsg.com/ for the manual

http://www.transtarindustries.com/ for the rebuild kit

http://www.daccoinc.com/products/index.html for the torque converter, supposedly they will rebuild yours you'll have to contact them.

Where did you order your repair manual from???

Last edited by Jackmup; 08-29-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:44 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Jackmup
http://www.atsg.com/ for the manual

http://www.transtarindustries.com/ for the rebuild kit

http://www.daccoinc.com/products/index.html for the torque converter, supposedly they will rebuild yours you'll have to contact them.

Where did you order your repair manual from???
Igot the manual from a ZF dealer. its a genuine ZF manual.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:04 PM
1st Gear
Question Repair decision???

Well, I was phoning around to find a tranny shop that test Torque converters, and the shop i found claimed that he had rebuilt many VW and recently an A8L tranny. he suggested that I take the vehicle to him and he will rebuild it for between $2000 and $3000. I am not sure if I should do it myself with the assistance of a friend mechanic or give it to this repair shop to do. I figured the parts will cost me about $650 plus the fluid plus the filter which is probably about $850 and the labour to take it down about $700. $1600 total. I am not trusting anyone lately but this shop will warranty it for 2 years. what do you guys think? I am torn and not sure. Is there anything that I need to ask of this shop before I decide to ensure he can do it right? the ZF repair shop wanted $3000 to rebuild it and I need to take it off for him. Other shops I found on Ebay wanted $2500 for a complete remaned unit???

Old 08-30-2009, 07:48 PM
2nd Gear

I would say taking it out and putting it back in is half the job. It looks heavy.

Read through the manual, If you have the tools and really think you can do it go for it.
I would. I have always wanted to open one up but Chevy transmissions are only $1200 to rebuild and they take it out, but for $3000 and you need to pull it yourself!. I would be studying my *** off, and figuring out which of those tools I really need.

However If you don't have the tools and experience and mess it up and find out after you put it back in then where will you be?

Old 08-30-2009, 08:21 PM
Site Moderator

Inside the ZF transmission isn't all that different than any other transmission. It has its planetary gear set, the clutch packs, pump etc. I have found its actually easier to build than some american model transmissions. One example is a transaxle out of the PT cruiser which was much more difficult to build than a standard ZF trans.
If you have all the required pullers and press related tools it should be a snap with the ZF manual, just keep everything in order as you take it apart. I usually set up a large empty table and put parts next to each other as i take it apart. That way i can work in reverse as fast as i took it apart with no guess work. If you have a competent mechanic friend that has transmission expierience, i wouldn't see why you would have a problem.

As for remanned units being cheaper than a rebuild is because those transmissions are generally from wrecked audis. They can buy the trans off the wrecked car for little to nothing then rebuild them for $700 or less. So its a high profit ratio.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:01 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by auditech79
Inside the ZF transmission isn't all that different than any other transmission. It has its planetary gear set, the clutch packs, pump etc. I have found its actually easier to build than some american model transmissions. One example is a transaxle out of the PT cruiser which was much more difficult to build than a standard ZF trans.
If you have all the required pullers and press related tools it should be a snap with the ZF manual, just keep everything in order as you take it apart. I usually set up a large empty table and put parts next to each other as i take it apart. That way i can work in reverse as fast as i took it apart with no guess work. If you have a competent mechanic friend that has transmission expierience, i wouldn't see why you would have a problem.

As for remanned units being cheaper than a rebuild is because those transmissions are generally from wrecked audis. They can buy the trans off the wrecked car for little to nothing then rebuild them for $700 or less. So its a high profit ratio.
Thanks for your input. The issue that I have is that we don't have any special tools, we have to buy them. I am not sure how expensive they are, but if were to replace the clutch disks, do we need the press? can we not re& re in kind? the dial indicators we can manage but mainly the pullers and the press???

Old 10-12-2011, 12:01 AM
1st Gear

hello just seen your post and my 2001 a6 4.2 is doing the same thing and just wondering were to start???

Old 10-13-2011, 03:05 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by bmrh8r
hello just seen your post and my 2001 a6 4.2 is doing the same thing and just wondering were to start???
Start crying

Old 10-16-2013, 05:53 PM
1st Gear

Is your transmission...and do not spend money in getting a used one....get it rebuilt by someone who really knows how...I had that problem with my 97 A8...bought a used tranny that did not work for $750 and + labor with a cheap mechanic in the US cost me $700 and oil was very expensive too. I will take my A8 to Mexico today and will spend $1500 total rebuild and labor with a German vehicle expert Mechanic...Is good to know the other side of the border!!!

Quick Reply: P0730 Incorrect gear ratio- Help