Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0730 Incorrect gear ratio- Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 09:11 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy P0730 Incorrect gear ratio- Help

I just purchased a 2001 A6 4.2L with 83K miles, the transmission was in limp mode and I scanned it and got P0730 (incorrect gear ratio). When I put the car in reverse, it works flawlessly but not forward- it goes into limp mode. I erased the code and it came right back. I read a lot about it, the more I read, I more I got confused. Did anyone have the same problem and had it fixed? It is something not too costly to repair which I may do myself with the help of a friend. I need all the help I can get. Thank you

Old 07-29-2009, 06:35 AM
1st Gear

Its low on fluid. Check the fluid and fill it should go away

Old 07-29-2009, 08:50 PM
1st Gear

Check the fluid 1st but start putting away some money for a tranny. I had similar issues with my '03 4.2 and after a few weeks it's in the shop with what looks like a burned out 2nd gear clutch pack. :-(

Old 07-29-2009, 09:21 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for sharing your experience. Do you mean that the fluid will fix it then the tranny needs replacing? When I put it in drive or any forward gear, I get nothing until I rev the engine then it goes into limp mode then it will drive but assuming on 4th gear, but the reverse is fine. If the fluid is low wouldn't the reverse not work either?

Old 07-30-2009, 07:45 AM
2nd Gear

Try searching on your subject as others have had this issue. Most of these seemed to have needed a new transmission but, IIRC, there is a DIY (if you a very mechanically inclined!!!) on how to rebuild this transmission.

Hope you knew this before you bought it.

Bob

Old 07-30-2009, 09:25 AM
3rd Gear

This - at least - is one of the threads including some info on rebuilding the tranny. You can do a search on "transmission" for the A6 forum and come up with more threads/information that discussed over the limp mode issue - as Bob already suggested.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:07 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by chefro
This - at least - is one of the threads including some info on rebuilding the tranny. You can do a search on "transmission" for the A6 forum and come up with more threads/information that discussed over the limp mode issue - as Bob already suggested.
Thank you for the link, I am hoping its only the fluid. But I don't have any leaks at all?? I hope its the filter that is plugged. I will change the oil this weekend and I'll post the results. Thanks for everyone's help

Old 08-03-2009, 09:31 PM
1st Gear
Angry still no improvment ....

well, I changed the filter and fluid today, the fluid was dark but not burnt, the filter on the other hand was cracked on the top. There was no metal shavings on the magnet other than the usual tar. I put about 6.5 liters of ATF and i followed the procedure step by step. I tried it and it is still the same with limp mode and code P0730... I am not sure what to do. Could it be the solenoids or the transmission module? I am not sure what to do. Any suggestions? Thanks for all your help.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:07 AM
Site Moderator

Pull the connector on both the TCM (under the carpet on passenger's side) and the connector to the trans itself and look for any bent/corroded pins. If you got the fluid in correctly another problem it could be is with the TR (transmission range) switch. It tells the TCM which gear you are in, if it get the incorrect signal it will put in in limp mode (3rd gear permanent) and make it feel like its slower than hell.
BTW, please tell me you didn't put in a standard ATF in this trans?

Old 08-04-2009, 11:48 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by auditech79
Pull the connector on both the TCM (under the carpet on passenger's side) and the connector to the trans itself and look for any bent/corroded pins. If you got the fluid in correctly another problem it could be is with the TR (transmission range) switch. It tells the TCM which gear you are in, if it get the incorrect signal it will put in in limp mode (3rd gear permanent) and make it feel like its slower than hell.
BTW, please tell me you didn't put in a standard ATF in this trans?
I used Mobil atf approved for Audi. I pulled the carpet but the only module I found was the traction control(anti slip) would the vag detect the issue with TR sensor and the cable? thanks

Quick Reply: P0730 Incorrect gear ratio- Help