Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PHAT BOX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 11:11 AM
1st Gear
Default PHAT BOX?

what do ya'all know about phat boxes? i hear they stopped making them... can i use it with my 2002 symphony bose system? anyone know? or know a similar solution. just want to plug a hard drive into my audi and operate it from the head unit. this seems like the best solution.

does anyone have a kit they're willing to sell?

thanks in advance.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:21 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: PHAT BOX?

My friend has one in his A6, works perfectly fine. In fact, I liked it so much, that I wanted to buy too, but since, it has been discontinued... I am not gonna buy from ebay or such. What if it stops working after a week? No repairs and support, I guess. I am gonna buy the ipod adapter for my Bose Symphony II system, not the one u posted on another thread, but the one Crutchfield is selling. I guess the make is USSPEC. I trust Crutchfield's support than ebay sellers. Also, a friend of mine bought it for his TT, and his is working perfectly fine, he installed it himself, as they also supplied with the installation sheet specific to TT.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:35 PM
1st Gear

yea, i looked into it and am going to get the ipod connector.. for the same reasons you mentioned- no warranty. + its really hard to find all of the parts for it... u need the box, the cable, the hard drive and the docking station.. i don't like ipods, but for the cost and ease it will suit my purpose.

btw, crutchfield is great, but im just going down to a local dealer to pick it up (actually it's at a vw dealer). also,the integration looks pretty seamless... you can switch playlists and songs from the steering wheel... but you have to create5 playlists.. which will correspond with the cd buttons in the dash, onefor each playlist ( the 6th button playswhole ipod library).no search function, no ipod controls.

only thing i have to find out is ... which ipods does it support?? hopfully the older much cheaper ones.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:08 PM
3rd Gear

I love my phatbox. I actually bought the last available Phatbox at any Audi/VW dealership in the country for a C5 A6. Seriously. I called and called and called every dealer and they all did nationwide searches and ended up with only 1 left. It was 1200 miles away in MA, had is FedEx and days later I was unbelievably happy.

I used to use a Dension Icelink adapter and my POS Ipod(s), worked well, but I hate Ipods and Itunes. The sound quality is identical between the two (to my ears). Ease of use goes to the phatbox, besides that you can mod it to do all sorts of new things.

My Ipod adapter supported all the older Ipods, including my old 4gb green mini(succeeded by the nano)

Old 12-05-2007, 05:29 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Jeffla

I actually bought the last available Phatbox at any Audi/VW dealership in the country
You lucky ...you. I never thought of it then.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:59 PM
1st Gear

I vote for the Phat box. ipods are cool but the last thing I want to do is fiddle with an ipod when I want to hear music. With the Phatbox I just select the cd changer and the voice prompts guide me from there. As for durability, its all solid state accept for the cartridge that has a laptop hard disks in it (don't know how long that thing will last). The cartridge is replaceable so if it dies I will just get another. I got it on ebay for a songa year ago and so far no problems. It fit directly in to the mounting hardware that was in the car already, the head unit cable was there to. I think some cars might not have the cable routed from the head unit back to the mounting position so you will need to check. good luck on whatever you get!

Old 12-10-2007, 02:38 AM
2nd Gear

Well, there site is up now, but freakin everything is out of stock!