Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help, serious locking issue.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 01:38 AM
1st Gear
Default Please help, serious locking issue.

2003 audi a6 4.2

Lately I've been having electrical problems. When my car is either off or on the doors will lock/unlock over and over back and forth or unlock unlock unlock and the trunk keeps opening as well randomly. My key is inside my house while the car is off and it'll just keep doing it.

I literally just went outside and closed my trunk again because it will open by itself. doesn't matter if the car is locked/unlocked it just unlocks or locks itself and opens the trunk.

even while im driving down the road it will just keep unlocking over and over.

Last edited by Tripin; 05-21-2014 at 01:43 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:34 AM
2nd Gear

Sounds like your Central locking module is acting up. Check for water damage under the drivers seat.
For testing purposes I think you can look at your fusebox and pull the fuse for it. You can manually lock and unlock the doors until you get it fixed.

If you get the module replaced - make sure it is the right one. You will have to code it (VAG-COM is your friend) and match the remote control afterwards:
Ross-Tech: VAG-COM: Remote Control Matching Info

Or pay the dealership price and have them do everything.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:14 PM
1st Gear

Yes there was a little water damage. The drain hole underneath my battery was completely clogged up. Water was able to puddle up a little on the driver side of the car, and into the back behind the drivers seat. I fixed the leaking issues so that is no longer a problem.

I am having troubles finding "Central Locking module" for a a6 4.2 2003. Is there anything else I should probably replace that could of been damaged?

Old 05-21-2014, 05:19 PM
2nd Gear

There are 2 things under the seats in our cars:
- The transmission control module (TCM) which is under the passenger seat
- And the central convenience/locking module which is under the drivers seat.

Usually when your drain plug is clogged water will enter through the air cabin filter box which is located on the passenger side. Most of the time your TCM will take some damage from that which will affect shifting (limp mode).
If for some reason the passenger side stayed dry and only the drivers side got wet - it affects the central convenience/locking module (controls interior lights, windows, door locks, etc.).
I would remove the module that is bad / acting up and use the part number you find to Google a replacement. You want an exact replacement or you will possibly run into additional problems when it comes down to coding.

Worst case scenario find an Audi dealer and have them perform the fix. It will cost you an arm and a leg but they will make sure everything works when they are finished.