Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please read..I think the dealer messed up my car!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 11:55 PM
1st Gear
Default Please read..I think the dealer messed up my car!!!!

Looking for advice. I have a 2002 CPO A6 4.2 wich I bought last Friday. Yes I've only had it for a week. I took The car in for service today. They needed to replace a hose and an O2 sensor. I picked up the car and drove it home and parked it. A few hours later I was taking my family out for the evening. I noticed when I turned on the ignition, it sounded different. There was a whining sound that was present. It almost sounded like a belt or something. I started driving the car and it wasn't driving corretly. As I accelerated the whining/wheening sound would get louder. Once I let go of the gas pedal it would stop. When I would come to the stop sign the car would start to shudder. When I would accelerate it felt as thought the transmission was confused. Finally I make it a block from the dealership and the car is really bad now. I come to a stop light and the car won't drive. The revs are climbing, but the car won't drive. I look at the indicator in the dash and all the selections are lit up, P, R, D, S. I try to put it in D one more time and I see a huge puff of gray smoke coming out of the exhaust. I had to leave it there and run to the dearlership. They gave me a free loaner and I think they realize this is somehow their fault. The check engine light never came on. Once the tow truck came I notice some oily honey/redish substance on the ground. Any ideas? The car was driving beautifully before I took it in for service. It was just certified. Any thoughts on if Audi will take care of this. Shoul I expect anything from the dealership? Is there anything in the area when replacing the O2 sensor or a hose that if accidentally loosened or something would cause these results? What should I do if the dealership trys to pawn off the responsibility for this? If it's the Tranny or Engine should I expect a new one? Your thoughts are appreciated. I have 52k miles on the car, it's only a week old. The car is beautiful, Minge Blue and in prestine condition. what to do?
Chico PA

Old 06-03-2006, 12:56 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Please read..I think the dealer messed up my car!!!!

Well, I spoke to the dealer and they had the Service Manager take a look at the car. They think The Tranny went. I made it real clear to them the car was running great before they worked on it. I let them know that something was done when they were working on the car. I told him I expected them to take care of it fully. He said absolutley, if we find it was something that was done during the service, then they'll take care of it. If it not it's covered by the CPO program. We'll see what happens!

Old 06-03-2006, 01:16 PM

you bought it from a dealer?? only had it for a week?? they serviced it?? now its stuffed ( they have no choice but to cover the repair mate) or give you your full money back

Old 06-03-2006, 04:59 PM
1st Gear

Something doesn't seem right. I went to the dealer and I spoke to the GM and when I described the problem he said it sounds like the Torque converter????? Everything I'm reading sounds as though the Torque Converter goes over time. This went in a matter of 7 miles and 15 minutes. Does this sound plaussible? The Car was driving great prior to them servicing it. It went in for an O2 sensor and hose replacement. He said nothing the Tech dealt with would have anything to do with the Tranny. But woudl Replacing a hose or o2 sensor put him in contact with something related to the orque converter? Either way it's covered. I think it blew the Tranny and that is also covered. The car only has 53k miles. Is the GM blowing smoke or is does he sound like he's trying cover his A--? Any Thoughts? Any experience with Torque Coverters?

Old 06-04-2006, 02:58 PM
3rd Gear

Depends what hose was replaced considering theres about a thousand on the car but very few are even closely related to the transmissoin. That fluid you saw sounds alot like trans fluid. Hard to say exactly what failed without knowing where the leak is but the torque converter cant be messed with. You have to pull the trans out just to see it.

Old 06-04-2006, 07:16 PM
1st Gear

Question? Everything I'm reading leads me to believe that the Torque Converter goes on higher mileage cars. This car has 52k miles. The other thing is everything I've read sounds as they go over time. The car was driving fine before I took it to the dealer. when I left and drove a total of 14 miles, it then began to go and went within those 14 miles. 40 mile an hour driving at best. Their taking it apart tomorow and will let me know what it is and how much damage there is.

Old 06-04-2006, 07:45 PM
4th Gear

You should ask for your money back in full and start over.

Old 06-04-2006, 10:01 PM
2nd Gear

I think a little reminder is in order here... THIS IS A CPO CAR! The guarantee is from Audi of America. As such, you can take the car to another dealer if you think this one is of poor integrity and not going to level with you about what went wrong.

If you live in any kind of urban area where there are multiple Audi dealerships, I'd recommend taking this car to another for a full inspection given your concerns. Alternatively, check the regional forums for the name of a good independent Audi Tech (also a good place to check out which dealers are better than others) who can check the car out for you. May cost you a bit to have the guy/gal look it over, but what's your peace of mind worth?

Old 06-05-2006, 02:57 PM
1st Gear
Default Update on my car..Tailshaft seal leak

Ok it wasn't the dealer. They said there was a tailshaft seal/Propshaft Seal leak. It lost most of the fluids. The dealer said they plan to replace the gasket. They think it should be fine. They said they won't know until they fill it back up and try and run it. They said if it doesn't drive well then they'll have to replace the tranny. What are your thoughts? Anything I should be concerned with?

Old 06-05-2006, 03:22 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Update on my car..Tailshaft seal leak

I highly recommend that you make them give your money back and look for another car. If this is your first experience with your new car, it isn't a good sign. They ripped you off and you shouldn't put up with it. I wouldn't have even let them try to fix it. I would have cried lemon and lawyer and got my money back. Good luck man. I just hope you have a hard head on your shoulders because they will know they are in the wrong and they will push you hard in order for you to not do anything. I would highly recommend you get your money back though. Sorry for your troubles.

Quick Reply: Please read..I think the dealer messed up my car!!!!