Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Audi Garage Scam!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 02:03 PM
1st Gear
Angry Possible Audi Garage Scam!

Hi all,

I took my 57 plate Audi A6 2.0 TDI for a service today, at an Audi dealer in Bedfordshire. They did the oil, fuel filter and pollen filter as requested and All went well... until I drove it home.

Got about two miles down the road and the car started spluttering when trying to pull away in low revs. The engine was also making a grinding noise when the revs eventually picked up, along with plumes of black smoke.

I took it straight back and they ran a test on it and a fault on the EGR was showing! They weren't happy for me to drive it like it was so have given me a loan car and will be looking at it in detail tomorrow.

However my concern is that they repeatedly said that the fault could not have been caused by anything involved in the service, indicating they will be expecting me to pay for whatever is required.

I find it hard to believe that this is a coincidence as the car was running perfectly before the service!

Can anyone advise me any further ? I really don't want to get conned into paying for anything.

Any help would be much appreciated !

Thanks

Tom.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:37 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Tom1979
Hi all,

I took my 57 plate Audi A6 2.0 TDI for a service today, at an Audi dealer in Bedfordshire. They did the oil, fuel filter and pollen filter as requested and All went well... until I drove it home.

Got about two miles down the road and the car started spluttering when trying to pull away in low revs. The engine was also making a grinding noise when the revs eventually picked up, along with plumes of black smoke.

I took it straight back and they ran a test on it and a fault on the EGR was showing! They weren't happy for me to drive it like it was so have given me a loan car and will be looking at it in detail tomorrow.

However my concern is that they repeatedly said that the fault could not have been caused by anything involved in the service, indicating they will be expecting me to pay for whatever is required.

I find it hard to believe that this is a coincidence as the car was running perfectly before the service!

Can anyone advise me any further ? I really don't want to get conned into paying for anything.

Any help would be much appreciated !

Thanks

Tom.
Did you check if they added enough oil?

Old 04-14-2012, 07:24 AM
1st Gear

I didnt check although I would have thought the oil warning would have come on? I cannot see how a simple service could cause a fault with the EGR and I know they are going to try and say it is just a coincidence!

They currently have the car so I cannot check anything. I'm not sure what I can do in this kind of situation. Surely I must have some sort of consumer rights?

Old 04-14-2012, 01:02 PM
1st Gear

If they tell you it's EGR and their job in black & white was not involved touching the EGR, then they won't honor it and you have to pay for the repair. It maybe just that part broke at the time which is co-incident to your garage time.

Things happen and you can't blame the oil change, after that job other parts in your car go south.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:48 PM
1st Gear

I find it very hard to believe it is a coincidence. My car was absolutley fine before it went in, and now it is f****d. Last time I go to a main dealer

Old 04-15-2012, 12:27 PM
1st Gear
Default Let me put it in extreme re coincidence

You pull your car out in dealer lot after that service and you get a flat tire or coolant hose busted on the way home ... do you still think the dealer work making these happens?

Old 04-15-2012, 02:40 PM
1st Gear

I see your point but I just find it unbelievable! I'll see what excuses they come out with tomorrow.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:53 PM
1st Gear

So, any ideas what the problem might be? Intermittent power loss with blue/black smoke. Revs pick up with clutch in but doesnt sound very healthy

Old 04-19-2012, 07:10 AM
1st Gear

Just to let you know it was a snapped shaft within the EGR. I have never heard of these going in this way as on most cars they just clog up.