General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help me My Audi garage cant help my S$!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 10:30 AM
Default Help me My Audi garage cant help my S$!

Hi people around the world

I have a 96 Audi A4/S4 which i have imported from Japan to the Cayman Islands
I have recently had a few problems with the car so i took it to the Audi garage

the problem i have is when i put my foot down sometimes the response is sluggish
When i get up to 40mph the auto transmission is sometimes slow to move up a gear and there is no smooth tranfer to the higher gear
If i slow down from 50mph to about 20mph there is sometimes a big jump which seems to come from the engine

The garage here has told me the diagnostics came back with nothing major to report
They have told me they are at a loss as to what is the problem.....but.... they can break my engine and transmission down to try and find out what is wrong
This will cost me an absolute fourtune here in Cayman

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problems is or have they had similar problems

I love my car to bits but cannot afford to keep her if i cannot sort the problem out

Thanks to anone who ca help

Richard

Old 08-28-2006, 03:28 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Help me My Audi garage cant help my S$!

I had similar issues....very sluggish from the start and while going down the road and trying to accelerate...it would just sort of hesitate and tell me to go to hell. I had all kinds of codes pop up though. Really seemed like it was something global...as alot of fuel/air metering codes popped up. I took it to numerous places and spent a boat load of money having it diagnosed and a few parts repalced, to no avail. I tore the whole top of the engine apart and checked all the hoses. It turned out to be a throddle body boot. The eniter underside of it had a huge split in it where it met the retaining clamp. Check your to see if it has any crask/splits. The apart took about 30 mins to repalce and only cost $25 from Audi. Hope this helps.

Old 08-28-2006, 05:05 PM
4th Gear

Try changing gears manually.

Old 09-11-2006, 05:56 AM
1st Gear

It sounds like your mass airflow sensor. It sould run around 1.5 to 3 at idle but may be in the upper 8s or 9s wich will cause the computer to run the fuel rich causing the slugish beahvior and the transmission as a bi product effects the ecm which will shift hard as to slam the car feeling like it did major damage. It will also hold gears or lock the car in gear until you turn it off and restart it. A dealer in the states would charge somewhare in the $350 usd range. The part can be found wholesale for around $170 and is simple to replace even for a novice. Using K&N filters after re-oiling improperly could cause this. Good Luck!