Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering just went out!!! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 12:52 AM
1st Gear
Default Power Steering just went out!!! HELP!

Hi everyone. I've been reading this forum since I purchased my 2000 Audi A6 2.7T in Sept. of last year.

My A6 has 99.5K on her. I had just saved up enough money to get the TB, water pump etc. tune up on her and my power steering just went out on my tonight! I've searched the forums and couldn't find my answers.

Does anyone know of a site that sells the parts I need?

Have any of you had this happen to you and can inform me of expected cost?

Just recently my car has been whining a lot. Then tonight it started an almost clanking sound like I had thrown a rod or my bearings. Thats when my steering gave out on me. Now the car sounds like its running perfectly! Is it only the power steering pump that went out on me? Does anyone know of a reputable independent mechanic in the Albuquerque, New Mexico area?

ANY and ALL opinions, suggestions and advice will be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Best Regards,

Matt

Old 07-27-2009, 01:06 AM
3rd Gear

did your serpentine belt snap?

Old 07-27-2009, 09:23 AM
2nd Gear

Did you have the TB done?

It is necessary to push the Power steering pump out of the way a little when doing the TB job and that may loosen the cheapo clamps they Audi uses. Check to make sure your clamps are tight and your fluid reservoir is full.

And of course the belt as Jeffla suggested.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:40 PM
2nd Gear

First, make sure the PS resevoir is full WITH AUDI FLUID!!! The fluid evaporates easily and, if you put in the wrong stuff, you might be needing a new steering rack! Check the tie rod ends for fluid. If you see any, you need a new rack. Otherwise, check the other hoses for leaks. PS pumps are very simple devices and hardly ever go bad except for leaks and if you run them dry.

Bob

Old 07-27-2009, 08:53 PM
1st Gear

It's my serpentine belt. Belt looked to be on last night, but then again i was using my cell phone as a flashlight...

Thanks for the replies!