Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Pump or not?

Old 02-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Default Power Steering Pump or not?

My A6 2.7T with 58,500 miles has been making noise for about 15,000 miles when I turn the wheel at slow speeds....and just recently when braking in a straight line (happened twice now)??? I just assumed it was the PS Pump slowly going out. Fluid was always fine whenever I checked it. Only happenes at under 5 mph when the wheel is turned sharply - I never go all the way to lock - and while the engine is warm or cold. Well, I just replaced the PS Pump...along with the Timing and Serp belt, Water Pump, Right Front Wheel Bearing, Valve Cover Gaskets, Cam Tensioner Seals, and CV Boots on both sides (whew!!!). After all of that, it still makes the exact same noise! Any other ideas what it could be? May be related, but I have a vibration at about 65-70 mph. I have rotated and balanced the tires all to no avail. Audi at first said I need a wheel balance. Now, they cannot replicate. Any help and thanks?!

Old 02-11-2010, 12:47 AM
3rd Gear

What does the noise sound like?

Old 02-11-2010, 09:49 AM

Jeffla, it is hard to describe. It really just sounds like a system that is not getting any fluid at low speeds. A groan, I guess? Definitely not a slipping belt. Thanks for any advice.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:58 AM
3rd Gear

Power stearing noise (wine) is common when you turn the wheel all the way againt the stop.

As for the balance -- what tires do you have on it? I once had a car and we could not get it to run smooth inspite of changing all tires re-balancing them a ferw times etc until we changed brands --And the were not cheep tires..

Old 02-12-2010, 10:39 AM
1st Gear

You should check out the other threads about power steering issues on this forum. I would recommend checking all the rubber hose clamps between the reservoir and pump and doubling them up or replacing them with adjustable ones. Especially check the intake hose and clamps connected right to the pump. I just replaced my pump and intake hose, doubled up the other clamps... it stopped the noise and air bubbles in the resevoir, but then come to find out my rack was leaking... that was not something I could do by myself and was expensive... so now i'm pissed.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:20 AM
2nd Gear

First, overfill the PS resevoir. This seems to have helped some people. Second, turn the rack from stop to stop several times to bleed out any air. If it is air in the system, this will make it go away if only temporarily. If it comes back, check out all those clamps. If all this checks out fine, it is your rack.

Bob

Old 02-13-2010, 02:12 PM

Thanks for all of your advice.

I am going to look at adjustable clamps and see if that solves the problem. Fingers crossed that it is not the rack - my reapir budget has been exhausted!)

As for the vibration, I decided earlier this week it has to be the tires. Pirelli P6. I don't much care for them in the first place. I had both front wheels off and literally checked everything. Other than the CV boots, all was perfect and as it should be.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:09 PM
3rd Gear

In defense of Pirelli P6, I'm on my third set. The second set lasted almost 50k miles and could have gone longer but I replaced before winter. I have not had vibration or bad tread wear on any of them. Vibration could be more due to balance rather than alignment. Make sure the rims are clean -- a little tar on the inside could cause slight vibration. Note: I have 164k on the car and all original suspension.

I did have a set of 18" Coopers that were nothing but trouble. An unexpected flat and abnormal wear. Discount Tire replaced them with Continental Extremes that have been a very good summer tire, although I have limited mileage on them.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:54 PM

ppgoal, the Pirelli tires are okaaay. I lost one earlier this month - pretty sure after a pothole from all this ice (vibration has been around long before the pothole). The rims are spotless, as is the entire car. Tires have been balanced several times in the last 30,000 miles. The wear on them is fine...I think I may go with Hankook for the next set though.