Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problem after problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 01:45 PM
Default problem after problem

I boughtan 01 A6 2.7T with 80,000 miles in July 07 and have had non-stop problems. Some vacuum line that the repair shop had never heard of going out went within a couple weeks, the water pumpstarted leaking in August and now its the oil pan. Is this a common thing with these cars or do I just have a lucky one?

Old 01-10-2008, 01:58 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: problem after problem

kinda sounds like you might have gotten one that hasn't been very well maintained by the previous owner. i thnk they vacuum lines going bad eventually might be typical on the 2.7t, but the water pump shouldn't be going yet. maybe someone with a 2.7t can chime in here, most of my knowledge is on my 4.2.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:54 PM

I boughta my 2.7 earlier this year knowing that it hadn'tbeen maintained. I'd expected problems but in reality, it hasn't been bad at all. No leaks of any kind. I had to buy tires. Nearly all of the switches were bad.. (the mirror switch, hazard relay, etc). After about 4k or so miles, it's actually been a great car. I'm going to have the timing belt done next week because I figure it's due but I'vehad noindications that it may be going out.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:18 PM
1st Gear

I know for sure that if your water pump is leaking, you better do a timing belt and water pump service. If that timing belt breaks you are really gonna hate life! It should be performed at 75K.Your water pump leaking is a good sign that its time to do the service!

OOOO

Old 01-10-2008, 08:47 PM

Thanks for the heads up, but that was done before I purchased the gem. I really don't know much about Audi's, but my fiance and I had purchased a Q7 earlier in the year and I love that one so much I wanted to get another Audi. I just wasn't expecting so many problems.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:04 AM
2nd Gear

Vaccum hose issues are pretty common from I have seen/heard.
If your water pump was just changed, I would take the car back to that shop then.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:07 AM
Site Moderator

The 2.7T can be a maintance hog when it gets over 60k. It leaks oil, needs major services, the after run water pump starts to leak (under the intake manifold) cv boot crack ect.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:49 PM
2nd Gear

" Maintance hog"

Very accurate description!!

There were times when the german cars were reliable ... ( '80 s are long gone).

Design based on principle of growing complexity does not proveengineering accomplishmentsto me. Smart things are simple!

Old 01-11-2008, 01:21 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: nemohm

" Maintance hog"

Very accurate description!!

There were times when the german cars were reliable ... ( '80 s are long gone).

Design based on principle of growing complexity does not proveengineering accomplishmentsto me. Smart things are simple!

Iagree, however Germans are well aware of "the new-simplicity" (trans.), however inorder to compete with foreign markets they opted for what is commonly reffered toas "engineered obsolescence" rather than "over-engineering" to make up for lost profits.

I think the time of engineered obsolecense is fading,and we will begin to see improved reliablility... hopfully.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:46 PM
3rd Gear

Knock on wood - not too many problems with my 2003. I had the rear transmission seal replaced under warranty at 48k. The alternator failed at 70k and the headlight washers leaked and I eventually disconnected them, but no other issues. I chipped at 79k and replaced the clutch/flywheel and secondary water pump at 90k. I attribute the clutch/flywheel to the extra power on top of the fact the original owner did some towing. It's at 110k now and running fine. I have my indie shop check it out completely with every oil change and the suspension is fine.

Quick Reply: problem after problem