Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problem after problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 03:40 PM
1st Gear
Default No issues with my 2004 S-Line

I recently bought a 2004 A6 S-Line and I love it. It has 65,000 kilometers on it. Full service history and is Audi certified, meaning that it passed a full inspection and has all TSBs applied. And it came with a 2 year warranty. Audi will not certify a car unless it has all proper maintenance performed by an Audi dealership. It came off a lease so I even knew when its tires were rotated and that in 2002 a tire was replaced due to a nail. I know it had an aftermarket alarm system installed and removed by the Audi dealership it was leased from. Etc Etc.

Thing with the 2.7T is that you gotta pay attention to the year. That has a fair amount to do with reliability. The MSN auto reliability report says that the 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003 C5s had some issues. But the 2004 has a green rating for every component. It’s the last of the C5 generation so I guess Audi worked out all the bugs and flaws.

That being said, my old man has a 2000 A6 2.7T. He has 90,000 kilometers on it and has never had a single problem with it aside from the remote door unlock stopped working once. He bought it new and always performed proper maintenance. Not one single engine problem. Ever. Still gets the same fuel economy it did when he bought it too. 4 years of its life was spent in Newfoundland. SALTY SALTY SALTY and tonns of BAD potholes. Did not phase his A6 one bit.

Personally, I would not have bought my A6 without the maintenance history report and the two year warranty. Just due to cost of repair IF it was not treated right in the past. I have no issue keeping the car after the warranty because, at that point, I will know it was maintained properly. My father maintained his 2000 2.7T properly and had no issues. The 2004 is rated as being far more reliable than the 2000 so if I maintain it properly I have no reason to be concerned about its reliability.

I would always buy an Audi certified from a dealer if you can. Problem is some people want the Audi but don’t want to pay for the proper maintenance or they chip the **** out of it and drive it hard…then remove the chip and sell the car to you, the unsuspecting buyer. Stick to a certified car from a dealer if you want a garantee that you are getting a good car. Other than that its a gamble, as it is with all used cars.

I would be concerned a little about the car you are looking at Aceboympk....from what you said, that car should qualify for Audi Certification IF proper maintenance was performed. If its being sold by a dealer and is not certified I would wonder "why?"
Here is a link to the report you get with Audi Certification. Its pretty water-tight. I got the invoice for all the stuff the delership did to remedy any defects too. Replaced the fog lights, one wiper and a lose seat was fixed.
http://microsites.audiusa.com/my09/p..._Checklist.pdf

Last edited by frizzlefry; 05-01-2009 at 03:52 PM.