Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem With Tip Transmission!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 05:31 PM
1st Gear
Default Problem With Tip Transmission!

Hi everyone.
The car I have is a 1998 Audi A6 Quattro 30v 2.8L AHA (I believe I have a DPT Tip Transmission 5 speed)
I been having this problem for about 6 months now since I bought the car. And I kinda stated the problem here before, but since I drove the car for almost 15000miles already, I believe now I can describe the problem/symptoms better then before.

A little backgroud first:
Since I bought the car, I fixed the following things: Changed coolant temp sensor, MAF sensor, change transmission fluids and filter. last week I just did the full timing belt job with cam seal and adjuster seals.

The problem I been experiencing is my transmission is having problem shifting.
This only happen in between 2nd to 3rd gear, and 3rd gear to 4th gear. 1->2 or 4->5, P, R, N are all fine.
No matter i am in D auto, or in Tip, if I shift from 2nd to 3rd, or 3rd to 4th, There is like a delay for my transmission to change gear. so my RPM will rev up for .5 sec or 1 sec then engage. So in result, I will feel a JERK. but from 1st gear to 2nd gear, or 4th to 5th gear, it shift absolutely smooth!

Also another symptoms I notice from driving it so long is, if I step on it hard. maybe 50% throttle, which change gear at every 3000-4000RPM, the delay between 2-3 and 3-4 will be shorten or gone.
But if I am driving in a relax mood where the shifting point is at 2000-3000RPM, the delay might varies from .5sec to 1sec.

I am really lost on what could be wrong.
I read all over the forum and reading the Bentley CD. I will do the Solenoid testing soon. but very confused on what I can test through the VAG TOOL. If anyone has any ideas will be great in testing the solenoid.

Any one with ideas on why this is happening, please let me know!

P.S.
I changed the trannsmission fluid and the fluid is very dirty, but not burnt. so my Torque Converter should be ok. (since it shift fine at other gears also) Also I did a throttle adaption already also. doesn't help.

Thanks in advance guys!
Gil

Edit: Almost forgot too, one odd thing is, when I took the bottom off the trannsmission when I change the fluid, I took a pic, and I notice I only have 6 total solenoids and control valves.
Look at this pic from this link:
http://www.geocities.com/gilee_8/audi/Solenoid.JPG

All website and Bentley said there is 3 solenoid and 5 control valves. mine has only total of 6. I believe my Tranny is a DPT.

Old 04-18-2006, 01:11 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Problem With Tip Transmission!

When you get that VAG tool, you should post the codes you pull

That will help better then some long as$ description

Old 04-20-2006, 11:32 PM
1st Gear

I think, and I'm not trying to be a smart ***, that is the way the tip is supposed to run. It sounds like it is adapting to your driving habits.

Old 04-23-2006, 02:25 PM
1st Gear

im going to assume you used the correct trans fluid during the change, check the level
of the fluid again I have seen low fluid levels cause what you are
talking about. remember to check it at the proper temp.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:26 PM

i got the same problem with my Audi 2000 a6 2.7 t every time i stop completely, lets say a red light, when i accelerate my rpm will rev. but my mph wont, well at least not as fast as it should.. it seems like if it doesn't want to shift to first gear.. my check engine went on and i got a p0757 code, ((Shift Solenoid B Stuck On)).