Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Navigation / Satellite / Xenon headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 12:20 AM
Default Question about Navigation / Satellite / Xenon headlights

Hey guys, I'm looking into buying a 2005 A6 that does not have navigation, satellite radio, or Xenon headlights. How difficult / expensive is it to install all three of these manually?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 01-17-2010, 12:48 AM
1st Gear

We have an 05 A6 that does not have the Nav or sattellite (we have Xenon), I know the cost for Sat was close to $900 installed and you need to know if it is pre-wired for it (ours was not) and the dealer would not even attempt it. Nav I think is about a $2800 option when ordering the car so it's anyones guess on this, again it needs the wiring and apperantly a dual antena on the roof. Not sure on the lights. Your best bet is to keep looking for one that has all these options. We had a custom stereo shop intall a Fiber optic unit that allows for the use of "plug and play" sat. it also has a usb port, aux and ipod connection all info comes up on the screen of the mmi system. We just went to Florida and used the usb port with music loaded to a flash drive (40 hours worth) and it performed flawlessly. Hope this helps and I know when I replace this car in 2 years I will make sure it has all of the options.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:27 AM
2nd Gear

If a 2005 has neither NAV or satelite then the attenna is not pre-wired. I agree with the prior post, look for a car where the original owner was not a cheap bastard and instaed paid for the options.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:55 AM

Thanks guys for the responses! The problem is that I was able to get a rediculously good deal on a low miles A6, with the only downside being that it does not have Nav or Satellite installed. I work in IT so I'm somewhat handy with electronics, so I'm wondering if this is a project that I can do myself? I found people selling the factory Nav systems on Ebay (The DVD reader and all necessary wires) an I'm wondering if is is just a simple plug and play device, or would I need to program the device somehow? In other words how simple would it be to install, given that I can get all the necessary parts for both the satellite and Nav systems?

Also mblayton, do you have any more information about that custom fiber optic unit?

Last edited by araman0; 01-17-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:41 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by araman0
Thanks guys for the responses! The problem is that I was able to get a rediculously good deal on a low miles A6, with the only downside being that it does not have Nav or Satellite installed. I work in IT so I'm somewhat handy with electronics, so I'm wondering if this is a project that I can do myself? I found people selling the factory Nav systems on Ebay (The DVD reader and all necessary wires) an I'm wondering if is is just a simple plug and play device, or would I need to program the device somehow? In other words how simple would it be to install, given that I can get all the necessary parts for both the satellite and Nav systems?

Also mblayton, do you have any more information about that custom fiber optic unit?
Be carefull of the stuff on ebay, you need the corect number unit to go into your car (dealer parts dept. can provide this info) all you need to do is give your vin. number and they look up the correct unit needed. Once these are installed they do need to be programed so that the computer knows that they are present.

My fiber optic unit is as follows...GW15MO Denison ipod/aux/usb interface, fiberoptic intergration to factory system.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:46 AM
2nd Gear

I would just stick with a nice Garmin. Once you open that sucker up to install all the wiring you need you will run into other problems. Besides you haven't realized why that gem was ridiculously cheap yet. The mechanical maintenance it's most likely due for will transform that price tag in a big hurry!