Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question from a new owner with regards the MMI.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 06:26 AM
1st Gear
Default Question from a new owner with regards the MMI.

Hi All,

Firstly, Id like to say hi to everyone, Im new on here and today took ownership of a 2009 Audi A6 TDle, Which i absolutely adore,

I do have a few questions that I hoped some folks on here might be able to help with, these relate to the MMI system in the car.

The system I have has the colour screen.

On the control panel it has buttons for NAV and TEL, When i press NAV it says "Navigation is Not Available", When i bought the car I was told that it didnt have a Navigation system so this was to be expected. However I am wondering if this is something that can be added. After some research online Ive read that some systems have the Disc drives in the glove box, some have them in the boot, I cant see anything in the boot (unless its hidden) and the glove box houses the CD player (with 2 SD cards - which i assume is for Audio). Are these Disc readers something that can be installed and if so, anyone any idea how much it might cost??

As for the TEL button, I press this and it comes up with "Telephone is not installed" pretty much everytime I search this online It brings up results where people have not understood how to pair their phone with the system via bluetooth, however im pretty sure that this is not the case here, Is it possible that the car would have this button on the panel and not have bluetooth?? Again... If so, is this something I can get activated??

I intend to have a trip to a local Audi Dealer just to see what they say but wondered if anyone could offer any advice here first.

Cheers.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:41 AM
1st Gear

hi mate.

the assembly in your glovebox is the information electronics control unit ( address 5F) this is where you would install a nav disc that can be bought from your audi dealer, the system would still require activation through the VAS. this is eaisly done and reasonably inexpensive. if you do do this it would be worth asking the dealer to ensure that your MMI s/ware is up to date as there were a few bugs and resulting update discs made available. as for your phone, it is possible that it was optioned without bluetooth, the error message for being unable to pair it is slightly different. as there is no different consol option for cars with/without certain options it is possible that not all buttons will work in all cars. if you do not have the option, you will have to buy a control unit, install it and code it on, which is not so easily done and is expensive. hope that helps.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:52 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info.. I shall deffo have a look into the sat nav option then.... Maybe less so the bluetooth....

So just to clarify, the unit I have in my glove box (2sd card slots and a cd player I can use for audio) is the same one that runs the navigation? If I can get a disc (and relievent codes) from Audi then that should be it?

Does this navigation disc somehow install onto the car the and then removed or does it remain in the car (using up the audio cd slot?) not that this is an issue, just want to see if I'm understanding you.

Cheers buddy

Last edited by Randomherouk; 06-24-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:56 AM
2nd Gear

The nav unit is in the trunk, at least in the US. It is in the driver's side of the trunk. There is a rack with the hardware.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:22 PM
1st Gear

I have an 2007 A6 purchased used and I added the Nav. Its worth it but cost 2800. I was able to access the blue tooth and pair my cell . Now I have a new cell and the pairing drops from time to time . What verizon smart phone works well with a 2007 A6?

Old 06-28-2012, 12:12 PM
1st Gear

The iPhone does just fine.