Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a question of parts interchangability

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 11:52 PM
1st Gear
Default a question of parts interchangability

So I've been browsing on both here and audi-forums.com, and in looking through various sections of both sites, as well as browsing the full year range of the particular Audi I'm interested in (A6, 92-97) on cardomain, I've not found much in the way of aftermarket parts, or even swaps amongst other models.

My first question regards swaps. I've noticed that later gen A6's have a 4.2 v8. Is this swappable into an earlier A6?

Second question. Where might I find parts for said motor if it fits? I've found one, bahnbrenner.com, but I'm wondering if perhaps anyone knows of others.

In the same category of swaps, I've noticed that the 92 A6 has amber lenses, and headlights that don't appear to have projectors. What all is involved in swapping to headlights with projectors? I would assume nothing more than adding the missing harnesses?

Last question for now. I typically prefer touring to estates, are there any problems with the tourings over the estates?

Old 02-24-2009, 12:49 AM
1st Gear

I wonder why you are so worried about replacements for a properly functioning vehicle?
Why would you want to ask about engine interchangability if you are buying, or looking to buy, a 2.8 when you really want a 4.2?

Go buy a 4.2, run it into the ground and replace the motor.

If "touring" to "Estates" refers to sedans rather than what we call statiion wagons, yes we do prefer sedans, on this side of the country. Or the WORLD? Are you in the US, or are you in the UK? We don't normally call wagons "Estates", hereabouts.

Cheers,

George

Old 02-24-2009, 02:56 PM
1st Gear

I'm going to guess you aren't very familiar with the world of hot rodding, or even the so called "ricers", where people put larger engines into cars that never came with them, to gain the advantage of a "sleeper". I prefer the looks of the 92-97, as well as it being within my price range, and when I'm looking at buying a car, I like to know what I can do with it before I get. So yes, I'm asking about what will fit and what I can do before I purchase one and start blowing money on things that might not fit.
Would you buy a car and proceed to blindly spend money on things that might not fit? I doubt it.

And sorry if my terminology bothers you. I live in the US but my UK friends have rubbed off on me. I feel they speak a more proper English anyway.

So back on topic, anyone with the knowledge to answer the above questions?

Old 02-24-2009, 06:16 PM
3rd Gear

Speaking of proper English versus urban/modern American English:

1. ricer
(Ricer: from the latin word Ricarius meaning to suck at everything you attempt)

A person who makes unecessary modifications to their most often import car (hence the term "rice") to make it (mostly make it look) faster.
Since the person is deemed as the "ricer", how should the modified car be termed...properly?

On a different note, if a 92-97 is a better fit for your budget, why would you want to spend money that you don't have (for a better, newer one) to ... "rice" a car that would "suck" as comparative to its original performance?

Old 02-24-2009, 07:04 PM
1st Gear

I'm in favor of salvage yard builds. Shop properly, and you can find yourself a good condition, decent milage motor for cheap. If said motor has more available mods than what your car currently has, then it becomes cheaper in the long run. Swapping in a 4.2 might not net me much more initial power, but seeing as the market for the newer cars/motors is stronger, it opens me up for more power and parts later.

As I continue to look into more aspects of parts swapping on an A6, I'm sure I can find that later model suspension and braking bits can be made to work as well. I come from a mostly domestic background, and the number of bits you can swap from one car to another of the same manufacturer might astound you. I'm sure the same applies to Audi's, and that is what I am trying to determine.

To help my budget further, I'm looking for an earlier A6, so as to not spend so much on the car itself either, hence my asking about lighting swaps with a 92.

Humorous definition above though.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:31 PM
3rd Gear

I apologize if you already know this.
The A6 started to be manufactured in 1995, so for ante 1995 years you may want to look into Audi 100.
It is the same story with the A4, which in 1995 replaced the Audi 80.

good luck finding a mod "recepient" in good shape.

regards.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:54 PM
1st Gear

Why then do I find 94 and earlier A6's on CarDomain? They appear to me to be the same as the 95-up.

1992:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3004566

1997:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3117616

If I am wrong, I am wrong, and will accept it. However, looking through cars labeled as Audi A6, I found them from years 1992-1997, and they look the same, save for some very, very minor cosmetics.

But, wait. It appears I am wrong. I just double checked Wiki for the article, and it seems it was renamed from 100 to A6, and given something of a facelift.

I stand corrected. Odd though that the cosmetics, both inside and out, were so minor as to appear to be the same car. I wonder then, since they appear so similar, if the lights from the A6 can still be used on the 100. Previous questions still stand.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:00 AM
3rd Gear

Swapping motors in newer model is not as easy as per say swapping chevy small blocks or B series Hondas. Especially in AWD vehicles where entire drivetrains are different. Sure you can do anything you want, as long as you have the money and time to deal with it. But are you really seriously considering dumping +$10,000 on 92 Audi? Finding entire, working 4.2 drivetrain, complete with computer, tranny, emissions equipment and related wiring will run somewhere around $6000. Not to mention the new electronics are based on KWP2000 protocol, where you will need miscellaneous gauges and stuff.

Sure go for it. You will be different. But I guaranty you that by the time that you are done with it, (if you are done with it) you would have spent amount of money you would not have wanted.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:43 AM
1st Gear

Why is it that when I go on sites for domestic cars, such as for Fords, I get simple yes or no answers, but pretty much every import site, such as for Audi, I'm met with sarcasm and resistance?

I asked above, if the newer motor will swap into the older cars. A simple "Yes it will" or "No, due to drivetrain differences" would suffice, and would be an answer acceptable. If I wanted sarcasm I'd be posting on CVN......

Old 02-25-2009, 03:06 AM
1st Gear

TOS,

Possibly because you come on here sounding as though you have all the money in the world.

Probably 100 million Fords in the world. Probably 100 million Chevys in the world. Lots of foreign in the US and you don't want to deal with any but an Audi and want to know if you can't just jam a BIG Audi motor in a little Audi car.

THAT stupid company makes a computer to control THAT engine in THAT car. Stupid, I know. It blows rich guys plans, like yours half way out of the water. NOW, you got to get someone to reprogram that stupid computer.

Reading your posts, you come across as a snob. Location: "The other side of Michigan" obviously NOT the broke side that is about 15% unemployment, or more. YOU are well off, you don't have to worry about all them bums who are out of work.

hey, go buy a Testarosa or what ever the name has become, today. What is your intent, anyhow? To build the best Audi in the world? I think Audi has already done that. Ask if you can give them a couple million to buy the models they hand built to win all them races.

Most of us just like the way our cars get us around. Some, I will admit, are young, and they have Audis and they would do the same fancy fitting out of a Cavalier, albeit at lower cost.

If you prefer the "more proper English", go live in England. I think you are a VERY young person, probably with more money than sense, probably one who has graduated FROM an English school.

Can you recall the name for a raconteuer who has schooled at Eton or elsewhere who drops names? I cannot for the life of me, at the moment. Tomorrow, I may.

I do not wish to drive you away, but I would wish you did not stick your nose so high in the air. Brits, lower class than you seem to consider yourself, are no different than American citizens are. RICH, as you seem to pose to be, are not ALL that welcome in many places. Whether this be one, I don't know.

I know there are lots of kids who do not know which way to turn a nut to loose it, it seems times are getting tough for people who bought 40 thou cars when they had 100 thou incomes. Out of work, "How do I change my oil?"

Oh, and "They speak a more proper form of English." Horse's *** is the definition of you. Pompous ***. We have many English and Australian and Canadian posters. I doubt they would understand your pompousness .

They MIGHT. The Brits are pretty good at reading idiocy.
You know, only half a dozen posts an not ONE Brit has made a comment. Maybe they don't understand your Harrod's dialect.

Have fun with your project.

Cheers,

George

Oh, I don't know if this means anything, but you say:" So I've been browsing on both here and audi-forums.com, and in looking through various sections of both sites, as well as browsing the full year range"

So, anyhow, this IS audiforums.com. Do you KNOW where else you have been?

Last edited by gmatov; 02-25-2009 at 03:12 AM.

Quick Reply: a question of parts interchangability