Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions regarding mod chips

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 12:39 AM
1st Gear
Default Questions regarding mod chips

Hello all, I need some input/answers about mod chips for a 2000 A6 Quattro 2.8L. Now, I know that engine chips provide minimal power gains at best but are there any benefits at all to getting one? (i.e. better throttle response, better fuel economy, etc.)

Second, would a transmission chip fix that god awful lag when you try to punch the gas while going about 10-20 mph? All too often I'll "stop" at a stop sign or slow down to make a turn. When I give it some gas it seems like it hesitates before shifting into the proper gear. Will a chip help that out?

Lastly, which chips would you guys recommend for each (engine and transmission) and why?

Thanks in advance for the info!

Old 03-13-2008, 01:15 AM
SoCal Crew Member
Default RE: Questions regarding mod chips

My new answer for this question is to go with the turbonator (You can turbo any car for $69.95, asadvertised in Motortrend).

Seriously though, 2.8 isn't going to satisfy your need for speed. Enjoy the car as is, or trade her in.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:08 AM
1st Gear

^^^---couldn't be more right. if you wantto make itgo fast, you bought the worst of the 3 motors to do that with. next to zero performance parts, and parts that are available just flat out aren't worth it on that motor. if you want speed, you're gona need to get a different motor. as far as chips go though, i'd recommend VAST performance in detroit over any other chip manufacturer out there, hands down. if you go with anyone else, you're just pissing away money. i've got 2 chips from them for my 4.2 and have been very pleased so far. i'm seeing better fuel economy even with driving harder on it, as well as having it shift and perform much faster than it did previously. anyways, i'm sorry to say it, but the 2.8 is the model that you just leave stock and enjoy it the way it is, because there's not going to be any making it faster, at least not without some major work which would still amount to practically a new motor.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:30 AM
1st Gear

@Four Ring Circus: LOL!

@mustang: 60s era mustangs make me drool. To this day, my '66 'stang was the most fun car I've ever driven.

Yeah, the general consensus that I've gotten from looking around is the reliable one of the bunch which is fine by me. I guess my biggest question now is if a transmission chip will eliminate that lag in shifting into gear at low speeds?

Thanks!

Old 03-13-2008, 10:59 AM
1st Gear

it should help, i know mine helped when i had mine put in.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:34 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah, the transmission does lag a bit at low speeds... try emailing VAST that very same question and see if it would even be worth it to buy a TCU chip.

Otherwise.... buy some nice rims, drop it, tint the hell out of it, get a german plate, new sound system, and enjoy the nice ride of reliability.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:34 PM
1st Gear

or you could try www.speedtuningusa.com for a nice chip for little $.
I like mine, not huge but noticeable and less lag time from pedal push to go.