Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear facing thether for child seat

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 12:44 PM
Default rear facing thether for child seat

Has anyone out there been able to find the rear facing tether point in their Audi A6? I have a 2005 model and my Britax Marathon car seat has a great additional tether for when the seat is rear facing. Well, the state insepction station in Boston could not figure out where to tether it and my Audi dealer won't make any suggestions due to liability. Great! Shame on Audi for leaving me high and dry!

I just need to find a point thatattached to the frame of the car. Usually you can attach the tether to where the front seat attaches to the frame but the front seat is electronic and I can't find any points that would allow an attachement.

Would love to hear anyone's thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks, Laurel

Old 01-16-2007, 01:52 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: rear facing thether for child seat

Audi does offer a retro fit kit for models that don't come with the lower anchors form the factory. My dealer installed it for free. Since yours is an 05 and of the newer body style, I would assumeit would be installed already. If you haven't already, it should be listed in the manual. Here's a link on Audi's site where they reference the retrofit kit.

http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/C...eral_FAQs.html

Old 01-16-2007, 01:55 PM
Default RE: rear facing tether for child seat

the standard seat belt hooks through the child seat ( don't use one if you cant turn the passenger seat belt off ) I prefer the kids in the rear for safety reasons

Old 01-16-2007, 02:12 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: rear facing tether for child seat

ORIGINAL: avant80@2.6

the standard seat belt hooks through the child seat ( don't use one if you cant turn the passenger seat belt off ) I prefer the kids in the rear for safety reasons
I should've noted that the retro fit kit is for the rear sits. You shouldn't use a child seat in the front regardless if its rear or forward facing.

Old 01-17-2007, 01:39 PM
Default RE: rear facing thether for child seat

Thanks so much for your advice on the retro-fit for a rear facing tether. I called my Audi dealer again and they referred me to the customer service line. The customer service folkstriedto send me to the car seat manufacturer but I knew that was not the issue. Now that I see the retro-fit information on the web site, I can lead them in the better direction. I expect I will have the anchor installed next week

Oh and just to clarify, this seat is in the back and is latched... this tether would be just an extra safety feature in case the latch failed. I don't think my son will see the front seat of any car until he is about 12 years old.

FYI - There was a recent article on the NTSB website telling parents about LATCH systems failing in crashes over 38 mph. This pertains more to US cars and carseats, as the European models of both tend to have better testing and therefore better equipment. I am apalled that the US just decided to test these seats and systems over 30 mph, but hope that will pressure they will improve their products. Only two infant car seats passed their tests...