Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Window Shade.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 03:40 PM
Default Rear Window Shade.

I have a '01 A6 with this "automatic" rear window shade that's controlled from a switch on the dash. Well...., It quit working. When you push the button, you can hear "clicking" from within the dash but the shade doesn't move. Does anyone know if this is an "easy" fix. When I say "easy fix", I'm, more or less, talking aboutthe "$25.00 dollarrelay/switch, 1/2 hour to do" easy fix. I suppose the shade is handy and it looks kinda cool but I can do without it ifthe "fix" involves having tocompletetear apart the trunk...or worse.

Let's face it.We've got snow coming. I have no time to play with a window shade.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:27 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Rear Window Shade.

I have the auto sun-shade too, so if I were you, I will ask someone to push the button meanwhile trying to lift the shade gently with screwdriver and see if something is obstructing. Will have to diagnose the problem before knowing the cost of the fix...there could be few..motor, and switch being ones of them.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:16 AM

Will do. Thanks (After I get done playing in the snow

Old 12-05-2007, 04:13 PM
1st Gear

You should also check the fuse for the motor, which is located under the dash, not in the usual spot for fuses in the panel on the side of the dash.

Here is a picture of the sunshade's fuse position under the dash, the beige fuse holder pictured here...
Name:  rear_shade_connector_7.jpg
Views: 4005
Size:  47.9 KB

I know where every wire and connector is located for the entire system because I pirated the sunshade out of my 2.7T and installed it in my 4.2 )). To get at this fuse location, go to this link to see good pcitrues of the process: http://home.earthlink.net/~oxy8384/605mod.htm

Other than that, I wouldsay that Nocturnal recommendeda good plan which is to have someone pull gently on the shade "cap" while the button is being pressed. Sometimes it is just stuck ever so slightly, and just needs a gentle prod to get moving again.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:35 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Boston Driver

You should also check the fuse for the motor, which is located under the dash, not in the usual spot for fuses in the panel on the side of the dash.
I thought of the fuse too, but then when I read that he said that he can hear some clicking noise sound from the dash, I thought that it is passing on the current. I may be wrong...what do you think?

Old 12-05-2007, 08:30 PM
1st Gear

I had the very same problem with my 01' A6. The solution: what Nocturnal said, with a gentle application of grease. When you pop it free, the two "arms" that drive the whole assembly up and down ride in the track that is the top bow.
I put a dab of grease in the track on either side of the arms, and that solved the problem. They were just sticking at their parked position.

Good luck!
-red

Old 12-06-2007, 11:46 AM

Thanks All!! The grease did the trick. It works works like a charm.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:52 PM
1st Gear

i don't think my audi a6 has that, does it depend on the model

Old 12-06-2007, 09:35 PM

I believe its part of one of the option packages (no clue which one) and standard on the 4.2.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:11 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Fast3.0a6

i don't think my audi a6 has that, does it depend on the model
It's a part of Luxury Package, which includes rear sunshade, rear side manual sunshades, and Premium leather.

Quick Reply: Rear Window Shade.