Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

REGARDING QUATRO SYSTEM

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 05:36 PM
1st Gear
Default REGARDING QUATRO SYSTEM

I have never owned an all wheel drive vehicle before and it came to my attention that when i slow down with my 2.7T AUTOMATIC i realize that when the car shifts down from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st that the car slows down faster by itself (without me breaking) than regular front wheel drive cars and rear wheel..is this normal or should i be concerned?

Old 12-02-2006, 07:34 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: REGARDING QUATRO SYSTEM

Armani, I don't believe this has anything to do with it being Awd, but more to do with the transmission. Over the years I have had a few FWD and few RWD and now my Awd Audi. My Saab, BMW and Audi have all downshifted while decelerating. My Chevy, Volvo, Toyota, Honda, Nissan did not. They just seemed to go into neutral while slowing down. So what I am saying is some manufactures downshift while slowing down and others don't. I prefer the (appears to be european) method which downshifts while slowing down because it is in the correct gear when I hit the gas if the red light turns green while stopping for it. Vs my other cars that had to decide what gear to go into casuing a delay. Since the car downshifts while slowing down instead of going into neutral, the car is using the engine to break. Just like if you had a manual transmission and shifted down to slow down.

I know don't think the car actually goes into neutral when decelerating, but it just feels like it is. Maybe it is, I have no idea. Anyways, your car is completely normal.

Jeff

Old 12-03-2006, 09:14 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: REGARDING QUATRO SYSTEM

Jeff is 100% correct the trans has a power on demand style shifting at certain speeds. This dose 2 things it keeps you in gear all the time while in the proper power band and it saves the trans from load Serge. Your other cars unlocked the TQ the Audi will keep it locked after a certion speed thus giving you that slowing down too fast issue but resulting in instant acceleration when needed