Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote Central Locking

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 09:58 AM
1st Gear
Default Remote Central Locking

Hi. New to the forum. Owned my 2000 A6 2.sTdi Avant for nearly five years. For the last couple of yearsthe carpet in the passenger footwell got wet occasionally. Not too worried but it got worse - until last Friday, you could have had a bath - there was so much water. Did'nt notice until realised all four indicator lights were on when car pointing uphill and central locking started playing up. Have tracked down the cause - new windscreen fitted and plastic trim not fitted correctly at the botoom of screen. Water gets to bottom of screen, drips onto the pollen filter at air entry to air-con, drips onto foam surround of filter holder and into front footwell.
Have lifted carpet, absolutely drenched, pulled up control unit box and a pint of water came out. Have dried everything, cleaned electronic contacts and re-fitted - But:-
Remote control does not work at all and although key in door locks and sets alarm it will not unset the alarm or unlock other dooss and boot. I have to unlock the door, put the key in the ignition and use the unlock switch on the in side of the door.
My questions are:- Is the remote receiver in the control unit or somewhere else and if so where?
Is there a fuse somewhere for the remote?
Is the board knackered or is it just one of the modules on it and can it be repaired?
If it can't be repaired will a second hand board work or does it have to be re-programmed.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
Hadham.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:45 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Remote Central Locking

The water in the passenger footwell is not uncommon, but a very serious problem if not fixed. Before you get anything repaired, find the source of the leak!!! If you get more water later, you'll only damage anything that was repaired/replaced. Common soruces of the leaks include the battery tray drain (if those get clogged the tray fills up and leaks into the cabin via the air pollen filter tray), a poorly sealed windshield (if replaced), and the sunroof drains (which feed down the a-pillar). Once the source of the leak is fixed, get a scan done to see what other modules might be impacted. For example, the transmission module is under the carpet on the passenger side. Don't forget that you should have the carpet removed and dried out properly to avoid any mold growing in the car.

Good luck!!!

Old 05-16-2007, 09:57 PM
1st Gear

2001 AUDI A6 1.8T
Have the very same prob as yourself . Got new windscreen fitted after a while noticed water in rear foot well traced water leak exactly as you described i.e pollen filter into foot well etc . Went back to company who installed replacement screen and they said they had fitted the wrong screen there are two screens for this model and they would have togo and fit the wrong one! Then all the indicator lights started to come so i went looking and also found this black controll box full of water it was then when i did as yourself cleaned /dried everything that the central locking via key fob gave up. Today left car into Audi dealer to get key fobs re-coded got the dreaded phone call to say control box needs to be replaced due to corrosion 300euro for box plus keys to be coded extra . He also mentioned that this box also controls the electric windows/interior lights so in a way were lucky that only the key fobs are not working
Hope this of some help
p.s will be calling to windscreen company tomorrow to see will they pay for new control box will keep you informed
JC

Old 05-16-2007, 10:04 PM
1st Gear

Sorry Boston Driver my last post was for Hadman
I'm Only a Newbie!!!

Old 05-25-2007, 05:02 PM
1st Gear

Latest update on my central locking module problems following leak from windscreen into passenger footwell.
Went away for a few days and it got worse. Could only lock car with key after manually locking all doors. Tailgate kept unlocking itself unless deadlocked. Alarm kept going off if car was locked. Got to the point where I removed the sounder to keep the neighbours happy.
Got to the point where I decided I must get a new central locking module so went into a VW dealer in Dorchester to get a price. Guy on service reception was astoundingly helpful. Suggested I try the wiring loom. I had discounted the wiring, after all the wires are covered in plastic and only go bad at connection points. Service guy told me there are "CRIMP" connectors connecting all the sensors and locking and unlocking wires and remote control wires 6 inches to 12 inches from the module and taped up in the loom. He also told me that there is no need to re-programme the remotes if you do need a new board as the remote sensor is in the dashboard. The onlt programming necessary is to VAG-Com the board to set your preferences.
As soon as I got back I removed the carpet again and inspected the wiring loom. Removed the binding tape and found six crimp connectors insulating rubber tube over them. The first one I touched fell off. Not having a soldering iron at the time I fitted a new crimp on the three wires that fell out and wonder of wonders - the central locking now works correctly along with the remotes. The only thing that does not work is the manual unlock with the the key in either the door or the tailgate. I hope this is resolved when I replace all the crimp connectors with soldered joints. Do not buy a new module at £204 until you check the wiring. By the way VW call the central Locking Module the "Convenience Module" and it is the same, with the same problems on the Passat.
Hope this helps some of you.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:54 AM
1st Gear

See if you can find my posts from a year ago. You have a blocked drain under the plastic plenum that meets the window. Run water on the passenger and drivers side, you should see some debris come out.
Take an old garden hose or similar item. You need about 18". Get a shop vac, put the hose on the vaccum hose. Put your hand around it or a plastic bag to create a seal, fish the hose around the well below the window.
You may need to take the cover off the electical panel on the drivers side, it could be filled with water.
Open the doors and moonroof, look for drain holes, pour some water down the tubes, it should run out the door rocker panel. Open the doors, test again.
I had the same thing happen. Now sometimes when I lock the car the trunk does not lock. So have to check the trunk each time I lock the car or manually lock it with key by turning the lock horizontal.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:14 PM
1st Gear

Have now used Vag-Com cable on car and have single touch unlocking, beep on locking and central locking on reaching 15mph. All working fine after soldering CRIMP connectors up.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:40 PM
1st Gear

I have looked at wiring loom from control box, it exits box and goes forward then down side of door to rear and under the passenger seat ,just to clarify a point did you take passenger seat out and then the carpet to locate the crimps ? The reason for my question is I could not find any crimps on the length of loom that I could see Just wondering would the crimps be in the loom behind/under the passanger seat
Any help would be grateful
JC

Old 06-20-2007, 03:15 AM
1st Gear

The correct way to get to the wiring is to remove the passenger seat and completely lift the carpet. I personally cut the carpet.
The crimps are hidden in the taping of the loom between where the wiring from the box joins the wiring from the front and where it goes across under the front of the seat and only in the part that is parallel to the door.
You have to undo the clips holding the loom to the floor and remove the tape completely.
Hope this helps. JH

Old 06-20-2007, 04:08 PM

I have not had any leaks yet, but my remote door locks have quit working. I have tried both remotes with no success. I have replaced the batteries in the remotes as well. The locking system will work perfectly normal using the key to manually lock and unlock the doors/trunk. What do you guys recommend I try to resolve this issue. I miss the keyless entry!!!