Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote Starter possible for A6???

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 11:15 AM
Default Remote Starter possible for A6???

I have received conflicting information about whether a remote starter can be installed in a 2005 or 2006 A6.

Does anyone have a remote starter in their 2005 or 2006 A6? Does it interfere with the car's electronics? Does it work well? How long have you had it installed? Any recommendations of good installers? What did you pay to have it installed?

Thank you.

Old 11-16-2005, 03:57 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Remote Starter possible for A6???

Yes you can install a remote start. If installed properly it wont effect any other electronics. As for finding a good installer, thats gonna be a tough one. Most of those hacks dont have a clue what theyre doing, and yours is a particularly tough install due to the immobillizer.

Old 11-19-2005, 01:34 PM

Dankhound,

A couple of questions:

To find a good "remote starter" installer, what are the key things you'd look for?

Do you know any installers with good reputations who could do this properly?

Thank you!

Old 11-19-2005, 06:21 PM
3rd Gear

Find a shop that has worked on high end cars in the past. Youll have to call around to find that. Ask them how they intend to bypass the immobilizer (anit theft). If they give you the blank stare, or something that sounds false you may want to try somewhere else.

Old 11-19-2005, 09:44 PM

its a good idea on an automatic but not so good on a manual gearbox, I had a good laugh once on this almost bust my sides, a mate of mine fitted it to his manual car and was showing of to the lads as you do here but he left it in 1st gear and it shot through his garage wall "mega damage" needles to say he soon removed it there is always that chance to be forgetful and the expense is horrendous also he couldn't claim through his insurance because it was a modification and never told them "police being brought in stopped him removing it police brought in by a conscientious neighbor" that was a bummer

Old 11-20-2005, 12:42 PM
1st Gear

they do make units that can be used on the manual stick, it just will not work
unlessthe e brake is on and the trans. is in neutral.
some dealers have a contract with installers.

Old 11-20-2005, 01:42 PM

yep seen them but expensive to install on a manual but it sounds cool

Old 11-20-2005, 08:19 PM
T90
1st Gear

As an installer they can be installed, and you will have to get whats called an Anti Theft bypass system, it is usually a little black box that wires into the ignition switch and some will make you leave a key in the car or in the box and others are self learning. As for shops that do that kind of work, ask around, your friends or even at the dealership and see if someone there knows who can or will do a good job of it.

As for the manual transmission, most remote starters will work properly with a manual transmission and it is only 2 extra wires to hook up, as well remote startersd will no longer allow you to start the car in gear. They accomplish this by making you shut the car off in neural and pulling the ebrake, the car will remain running until the drivers door is opened and then closed, the car will then shut off and put itself into what most systems call "reservation mode", which just means that all steps were followed correctly and the car can be remote started at a later time without a problem, however if the steps are not followed correctly the car will not remote start for you.

If I had to say any particular vehicle would be the worst to install a remote start in it would have to be anyt of the new GM products that utilize Passlock 2a, 2b or 2c, they are the devil!

And personally if I had to recommend a specific brand of remote starter I would have to say Compustar, check out their website. They offer a 2 way FM transmitor/receiver that alerts you to the status of your vehicle with the press of a button, only problem is depending on what part of the world you are in FM transmitors might be against the law, especially Compustar, simply because of the extremely strong FM signal it transmits.

I hope this helps some.

Trev

Old 11-21-2005, 09:47 AM
1st Gear

Ive had a compustar in my Grand National for many years, it got great range

Old 11-21-2005, 03:45 PM
T90
1st Gear

I love Compustar for that reason, two of my cars have them in right now. On a clear day with limited obstructions you can possibly get up to 2 km of range out of the higher end Compustars, and in the city with maximum interference you will get about 3 blocks. The only thing with Compustar is you better get someone that knows what they are doing to install it, simply because of the unit's complexity.

Quick Reply: Remote Starter possible for A6???