Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remove driver's air bag in a '95

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 05:04 PM
1st Gear
Default Remove driver's air bag in a '95

Hey guys, I just got my radio code from a friend of a friend, so I want to fix my steering wheel. (It's loose, rocks up and down). To do that, I have to remove the air bag. How do I do that safely?

I'm guessing disconnect the battery at the least. I've also heard you have to find the air bag control module and disconnect that as well. Where is that? Should I do that or would I be fine anyway?

What are the two screws in the back of the steering wheel? Are they torx? Hex?

Anything else I should know? Thanks!

Old 01-05-2011, 07:42 PM
1st Gear

The screws are hex (5mm????), not sure of the size off the top of my head. As a technician I remove the air bags with the battery connected. The chance of it going off while removing it is so slim as to be non existant. Have the key off of course. Long as you don't apply voltage and ground to the air bag terminals, it can't deploy (a 9 volt battery is all it takes btw). It is a good idea to ground yourself to disipate any static electricty before unplugging the connector (same as when working with any other electrical/electronic device). You MAY have a driver's air bag code set, even if you don;'t turn the key on when it's unhooked. As for the air bag module, it's on the trans tunnel under the front of the console and about innaccessable if you wanted to unplug it. Hope this helps.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:18 PM
1st Gear

Thanks man. I think I'll still unhook the battery though. I'm honestly NOT worried about it going off. I'm MORE worried about the air bag light coming on... So it's possible for the air bag light (driver's air bag code set) to come on after I do this? IF that happens, how do I reset it? This car isn't obd2, so I can't just hook it up to vag-com like you could on newer cars. I mean, it has a code flasher, but I would have no idea how to reset an air bag light. (And that would annoy the **** out of me.)

Looks like I'll skip out on disconnecting the control module.

Thanks again.

EDIT: Quick search comes up with a "You need VAG COM and an OBD1 connector to reset air bag lights" Lovely. Well if it happens I'm breaking out the electrical tape.

EDIT2: Quick search 2 comes up with obd1 to obd2 adapters for only a couple bucks? Maybe not as bad as I thought.

Last edited by corrado33; 01-05-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:09 PM
1st Gear

Jeeze...

Tried to take the airbag off today.

First off, the bolts ARE torx, a T30 to be exact. (I shined a flashlight up there )

Secondly... they are on FREAKING TIGHT AS HECK!

I swear someone put them on with a torque wrench. Are they supposed to be that tight? I tried with all my might to get them off but I was afraid my torx screwdriver was going to break. It's not like you can fit a socket or anything up there, so a screwdriver is my only option. Heck, the screwdriver itself barely fit in the hole.

Are they by any chance righty loosy lefty tighty? I mean I was bending the metal of the screwdriver trying to get these off.

Any advice? I really don't want to spray penetrating lube all over my steering wheel and the internals of my airbag... well, at least the wiring.

I'd really appreciate it.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:25 AM
3rd Gear

I didn't come (yet) across German stuff that has bolts/screws with left handedness.
The torque for the airbag bolts should only be 53 in lb.
What's wrong with not wanting to spray penetrating oil over the bolts? is a freaking 16 yr old car...you can buy another steering wheel if you "stain" the damn thing. Do you have it that shiny or flawless?

Old 01-11-2011, 12:32 AM
3rd Gear

Test....

Attached Thumbnails Remove driver's air bag in a '95-abag.jpg  
Old 01-11-2011, 04:40 PM
1st Gear

Thanks chefro. It's not like I don't want to get it all over everything, it's just that I get nervous around airbags and don't want to risk maybe shorting something etc.

So it looks like it's just a LONG torx socket. All of mine are just an inch long, not nearly long enough to reach the bolts in there.

Well, thanks, I'll make it work now that I know how it's done.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:48 PM
3rd Gear

I got a little ... jiggy Good thing you didn't take it the wrong way.
Yeah, you should be able to find a set of long torx sockets. I actually bought mine from Walmart, while I was waiting for a 4-piece set purchased on Ebay...lol
Those screws/bolts appear to be on the back/underside of the steering wheel, so spraying a little penetrating (although after seeing the torque specs I doubt you need to do that) it wouldn't do any harm. Plus, the penetrating oil wouldn't reach too far past the bolt anyway.
Anyway, I do like to keep my interior clean too, but... old is old no matter how we look at it.
In any event, if you need to use a light spray, Then use a "straw". Most cans of penetrating lubricant or WD40 nowadays come with a straw taped on the side or with a "fancy" flipping up nozzle that already has a straw attached to it.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:53 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by chefro
I got a little ... jiggy Good thing you didn't take it the wrong way.
Yeah, you should be able to find a set of long torx sockets. I actually bought mine from Walmart, while I was waiting for a 4-piece set purchased on Ebay...lol
etc etc.
Walmart you say? Good to know.

old is old no matter how we look at it.
Yes I know old is old, but old doesn't have to mean not nice. I'm a big supporter of keeping things as nice as they were when I got them. Cars last a freaking long time if you take care of them. I'll only use penetrating lube if I absolutely have to.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:24 PM
1st Gear

I did this at least 10 times on my S6. It is easy. First, turn off the car and wait 20 minutes. The Airbag system has a capacitor to store charge so that the bags will still go off if power is cut in an accident. 20 minutes is more than enough. Then get the T30 and a ratchet wrench. The torque may not be much but could never loosen them with a screwdriver type Torx. Once you get the screws out pull off the airbag and unplug it from the wheel.

Next, take off the top and bottom plastic covers that cover the steering column. There are two connectors that go to the clock spring. One for the airbag and one for the horn. Disconnect these.

Now mark the orientation of the steering wheel relative to the steering column bolt so that you put it back on straight!

You will need a LARGE metric socket to remove the steering wheel. I do not remember the size but it is in the Bentley. Remove the nut for the steering wheel and take it off carefully. Make sure you do not damage the clock spring which I believe comes off with the wheel.

Good Luck.