Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaceing only water pump?

Old 11-29-2010, 09:40 PM
1st Gear
Default Replaceing only water pump?

Im a college student and it seems my troublesome 99 2.8l a6 has crapped through another water pump. So im going to do the repair job myself. Problem is with my income I literally cannot afford to replace anything other than just the water pump. Im just a little worried knowing I have to pull of the timing belt. Never done a timing job before so my question is .. Can I simply make markings to put it back in place properly?

Old 11-29-2010, 11:27 PM
2nd Gear

how many miles on your timing belt? You'll need to rent or borrow the timing belt tool since you are taking that off. The real question is, why are you going through water pumps

Old 11-30-2010, 07:23 AM
2nd Gear

You do not need the cam alignment tool to change just the water pump. Mark the timing belt to timing gear relationship on both cams in two places each and on the crank gear. Remove the timing belt, do the water pump job (get something other than a cheap Chinese pump, if you can), replace the belt making sure to line up the marks. Turn the engine over by hand twice and reconfirm the alignment of the marks.

Good luck,

Bob

Old 11-30-2010, 12:58 PM
2nd Gear

College student in what - in engineering or in drama?

Before you undertake this endeavor, make sure you get familiarity with the design, functionality of the mechanisms and the consequences of your actions.
There are many long threads about lost marks-camshaft-crank shaft alignment.
Read first then look at your odds- be sure valves-pistons-crankshaft interaction is clear to you; firing order, TDC...
A simple job like this could easily ruin your car-many proofs on the forum here.
Good luck

Old 11-30-2010, 06:59 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

Originally Posted by nemohm
College student in what - in engineering or in drama?
I almost squirted beverage from my nostrils.

Anywho: scrape together enough monies to purchase the TB and related accessories so that you can do the job completely. Start the ramen diet, sell blood, sperm, whatever you have. There is simply no excuse to do all that labor and not get as much done as you possibly can while you're in there.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:43 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the input. I'm actually a computer science major. I have no idea whats causing me to go on my 3rd pump at a total of 144k miles but all I know is im fixing the thing and most likely going to trade it off for a gas pincher. The pile up of medical bill debt and other bills and blahdy blah are whats stopping me from buying all the materials to do the entire job. Hell ill even admit it. Im your average 21 year old kid who bought something he couldn't maintain. Hence the reason my cars only job right now is to keep that patch of driveway dry. And me suckering my friends into giving me rides everywhere with beer and IOU's.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:17 PM
2nd Gear

"3rd pump at a total of 144k miles"

Lets focus here:
- usually the pump gets replaced with the TB- what was your TB replacement schedule (if any)?
-what brand of pump is used?
-what are the reasons for the pumps replacements?

If the leakage is the reason:
-have you applied the proper sealant on the gaskets?
-what antifreeze your using?
-have you changed the belt tensioner?

Old 12-01-2010, 12:38 PM
1st Gear

I feel your pain, six months after installing a complete timing "kit"/waterpump from Blauparts-the waterpump failed. WTH good is a steel impeller if the seal fails and dumps the G12 rapidly.... In any case the repair is doable but I took a different approach. In order to remove pump I did nearly all the disassembly required to repl TB, but did NOT remove belt. Before I slackened the belt I zip tied the belt to the pulleys, with MANY zip ties. the cam pulleys were easy as they are spoked, the crank a little more difficult, use the holes for the dampner.

I do not recommend doing this unless your TB is new or nearly new, its just not worth the effort or time to omit changing the TB while "in there".

I also suggest you buy your parts carefully(from AUDI), alot of aftermarket crap is just that....

Old 12-01-2010, 05:45 PM
2nd Gear

Ditto on the BlauParts water pump. Chinese crap. Since my TB was only a year old, I did not replace it at the time.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:13 PM
2nd Gear

I've got my kit from VAST - as far as I remember parts (stampts) made in Germany.
(I have to check the inventory - shipping list for confirmation)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replaceing only water pump?