Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing 2.7t turbos DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 01:48 AM
1st Gear
Default Replacing 2.7t turbos DIY?

Alright heres the question. I have an a6 2.7t with the turbos on the way out. I have a two car garage with lifts and about every imaginable tool (engine lift, tranny jack, every snap-on tool made). I dont know how involved it would be, i really have onyl done work on bigger american engines like a 452 and **** like that never no turbo work. But i heard it is somewhat simple and alls i need to do is unbolt and bolt back on. With the lifts i can probably drop the engine no problem. If i can get some insight from someone who maybe has done this it would be great!! What im thinking if i do it myself i can get k04's if not than i go for stock k03's. Please i need some information. Also i anyone knows of any manuals that would be great. THX this place is great!!!!

Old 09-05-2007, 04:31 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Replacing 2.7t turbos DIY?

do you own the car?

it sounds like your a mechanic...

anyways if you own the car, you might want to invest in a Bently Repair Manual. I bought one for the A4, and it is amazing, i never get stuck on anything anymore, just flollow the directions, plug and play.

i have heard people say that the 2.7 turbos are a b1tch to swap because they are located on the side of the engine, underneath the heads, if you were looking down on it.

i imagine if you pull the motor, which i think you could do very easily, seeing as you have experience with this; you would have minor problems, it might take a little shorter time to do it with it in the car, however, u'd be tired as hell at the end of the job.

while your in there, swap those k04's in there, buy the programming and put an exhaust on for good measure! ( or maby just a test pipe )

where are you located? i would like a shop to work at as well ( would you take beer as payment? haha).

Old 09-05-2007, 08:57 AM
1st Gear

Haha I own the car but not he shop. The shop is a friends of mine that I always use, and I live in New Hampshire. The Audi is great in the winters here that is why i own it. One Last Thing Does the Bentley manual have instructions on how to switch the turbos and does the engine have to be pulled to switch them? Cause i'd be more comfortable takign things off to get to the turbos than pulling the whole thing. Thanks A lot.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:21 AM
2nd Gear

Dang you are so lucky man. I wish I had like any tools!! But I have HEARD that you can replace the turbos without pulling the engine. Although in the end I am sure that it would make way more sense to just take the whole thing out. I mean I have replaced stuff like the drivers side EGT sensor and O2 sensor and just doing those were enough of a PITA. I cant even imagine trying to take out the whole turbos squeezing down in there. If you do tackle it yourself do let us know how it goes!

Old 09-05-2007, 12:25 PM
3rd Gear

There's been a lot of discussion about whether turbos can be replaced with the engine in vehicle. No conclusions. Most responses say take it out, which at shop rates is about 30 hours work (I saw this in another recent post). Since you're doing the work yourself, the hours don't matter. Do it the way it is recommended. Diagram and document everything - there is a pot load of wires and connectors in there. Good luck. Let us know how it worked out and what you did. Any comments on the experience would be very valuable to the rest of us either thinking about doing this type of job ourselves or too scared to try.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:24 PM
1st Gear

Haha thats the thing i dont know if i should do it because i have never worked on a car that is this electrical. Working on an american car is simple the 452 chevelle is easy to work with it is big and the parts are simple. I have a tougher time with my kids honda accord. I was hoping for someone's thoughts who have done this cause i have never worked on an European car. And i am not a mechanic so i am not trained at this. I just dont know. I would love to be able to take the engine out and have it be like a 2-4 hour thing with it out and then put it back in but that is the kind of thing that i need and want to know. I've done the timing belt and water pump not really difficult. But pullign an engine is a bit different.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:00 PM
2nd Gear

Well if you have done your own timing belt and water pump, you have more experience than most of the people on here. I know that I wasn't brave enough to attempt to do my own timing belt.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:49 PM

ORIGINAL: luvin_the_rings

do you own the car?

it sounds like your a mechanic...

anyways if you own the car, you might want to invest in a Bently Repair Manual. I bought one for the A4, and it is amazing, i never get stuck on anything anymore, just flollow the directions, plug and play.

i have heard people say that the 2.7 turbos are a b1tch to swap because they are located on the side of the engine, underneath the heads, if you were looking down on it.

i imagine if you pull the motor, which i think you could do very easily, seeing as you have experience with this; you would have minor problems, it might take a little shorter time to do it with it in the car, however, u'd be tired as hell at the end of the job.

while your in there, swap those k04's in there, buy the programming and put an exhaust on for good measure! ( or maby just a test pipe )

where are you located? i would like a shop to work at as well ( would you take beer as payment? haha).

Did you pay around $100 for your Bentley manual?, I saw $82 on ebay. Do you know of a place that might sell the cheaper?

Old 09-05-2007, 05:01 PM
Site Moderator

The absolute easiest way to change out the turbos is to use a table jack. You're proabably not gonna have one though. Its a flat table that lifts up and down, so you would position it under the motor and transmission and drop the whole sha bang together. Engine, tranny, subframe, and suspension, you just throw the ECM on top of the motor and drop the bitch. It only takes about 10 hours to do it that way.
If you can't do that you have to pull the motor the old fasion way which takes about 30 hours. [:'(]
Some people use a plasma cutter and make it a little easier to get them out without removing the motor but that is some hacker s***.