Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing the drivers window switchs how to remove?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 03:59 PM
1st Gear
Default Replacing the drivers window switchs how to remove?

Hi all, Quick question, I have a problem with the rear windows in the car. The switches will not work on the rear doors but they will work on the drivers door.The problem is a faultysafety/cut off switch on the drivers door (diagnosis test: hold down the cut off switch so it is as far down as it will go and them try the rear window switches,if they work then there is your problem).

I am going to leave it to dry out as it has been raining today and see if it works, but if it doesnot then I have two questions:

1. Is it a case of replacing the switch or can it be repaired?

2. Does anyone know of a place on the internetwhere there are instructions(with pictures if available) on how to removed the switch panel? I have done some research and can not find a coherent methodtoremove the switch panel. I am hoping that I do not have to remove the handle/molding on the door or even the door interior its self to get at the switch beneath.

Thanks for your help
James

Old 02-27-2008, 08:39 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Replacing the drivers window switchs how to remove?

belowthe switch, on the underside of the door handle, there is a small hole. Using a thin screwdriver, just push the switch up from the hole. Then lfit the switch out and disconnect the wire harness. You do not have to remove the door panel at all.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:59 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Boston you did it again, couple of quick questions

I have the 2.7t and get about 20 mpg average what do you get out for your 4.2? (2.7 is a complex car I am wondering if I should have gone for the simple V8)

Also I have see switches online that do not have a trim piece on them and others that do is the top trim piece part of the switch or is that detachable too?

Old 02-28-2008, 07:47 AM

That trim piece is removable with little effort. Going through the same problem with mine right now. Just removed those switches yesterday.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:51 AM
1st Gear

Sorry to hear that youare having problems but glad to hear I am not alone.Good luck with the job, where did you source the part and if you don’t mind me asking how much was it? Also you don’t happen to have a picture of this hole where you put the screw driver? There is one on the end of the molding and one underneathI am not sure which one it is.
Thanks
James

Old 02-28-2008, 09:53 AM

Its the one underneithat the front of the armrest. Took me a while to figure out how to get it out. It really is as simple as pushing the screwdriver up at about a 10 or 11 o'clock angle (when looking at the door).

The part you can buy almost anywhere. I bought mine from ebay for abou $45. You can also buy it from the dealer. Autohausaz.com has them as well for $75.

Good luck!

Old 03-01-2008, 09:49 PM
1st Gear

frankinstyn, do you know how much pressuer you have to put on the swich pannel to get it to pop out and how you remove the trim from the switch unit.
Thank
James

Old 03-01-2008, 10:25 PM

Use a fairly slim phillips screwdriver to push with. It takes a decent amount of pressure to get it out. It will come up about 1/4 inch and then push a flathead screwdriver in and remove the phillips head screwdriver. The whole unit will then slide up, forward a bit, and then out.

You'll then have to use the thinnest flathead screwdriver to release the 6 tabs and remove the switch unit from the trim piece.

I just recieved my replacement (ebay) and installed it today. All windows work perfectly now!