Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Turn Signal Relay

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 02:37 PM
Default Replacing Turn Signal Relay

I own a 2001 A6 4.2. My turn signals stopped flashing. When I called the dealer, they wanted to charge me two hours of labor and $84 for the parts. I did some digging around and found an easy solution to the problem. First, the turn signal relay is part of the hazard relay/switch in your dash board. Mine has a red triangle shaped button on the front of it that turns on the hazard flashers. This is what needs to be replaced. Its simple. I chose to buy the part at my dealer. To get at the part, remove the trim around the hazard button and other buttons. This is a narrow plastic strip held in place by six metal clips. I used a small flat head screw driver. Start at one end and be careful not to scratch your dash board. The trim will pry up easily. During the process, I managed to break some of the clips off the back of the trim. This was easily fixed with a little super glue to re affix the clips back on to back of the trim. Once the trim is removed, you can pull the hazard button/relay out of the hole it sits in. Unplug the cable from the back of the relay and attach new relay to cable, slide relay/switch back into hole. Snap trim plate back into place and you are done. You just saved yourself one or two hours of labor charge from a dealer. I am in no way responsible for any dmage done if you follow these instructins. I did it in about 10 minutes.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:42 AM
1st Gear

markaross -

Thanks for posting! Great info!!

Haveitall

Old 11-20-2010, 12:54 PM
1st Gear
Default Switch Panel Removal

This is the fasteners position behind the switch panel... after that you can pull the hazard one out and replace...

Old 02-13-2011, 10:22 AM
1st Gear

Question. Do you recall if the emergency flashers worked but the turn signals did not? I currently have no turn signal flashers....the arrow in the dash lights up when the switch is on but no flash/click, click, click.....but the emergency flashers work fine. Noticed in the book the turn signals use a different fuse (Location #2) than the emergency flashers (#39). I find this confusing. Any help/clarification is greatly appreciated.

*****I pulled the Hazard Switch out, dis-assembled, no contacts to clean/file as I read about elsewhere, but tapped on the sealed relay box a few times. Re-installed and have turn signal flashers....at least for today.********

Last edited by drliming; 02-13-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:23 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by drliming
Question. Do you recall if the emergency flashers worked but the turn signals did not?
This does happen sometimes. My sister's did it, and it was still just the main relay. Can't say why it does that.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:18 AM
1st Gear
Talking Great post

Good post, answered about all my questions, will attempt this weekend and might just call in a friend for back up and his opinion. Tried very lightly to take off moulding, be you reassured me with the super glue the tabs back on, thanks again, happy motoring

Old 09-28-2012, 03:10 AM
1st Gear

Why do we replace the turn signal relay? what it causes for if we wont do it? And what are the advantages of it? How it far working?

Old 05-08-2013, 03:54 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by markaross
I own a 2001 A6 4.2. My turn signals stopped flashing. When I called the dealer, they wanted to charge me two hours of labor and $84 for the parts. I did some digging around and found an easy solution to the problem. First, the turn signal relay is part of the hazard relay/switch in your dash board. Mine has a red triangle shaped button on the front of it that turns on the hazard flashers. This is what needs to be replaced. Its simple. I chose to buy the part at my dealer. To get at the part, remove the trim around the hazard button and other buttons. This is a narrow plastic strip held in place by six metal clips. I used a small flat head screw driver. Start at one end and be careful not to scratch your dash board. The trim will pry up easily. During the process, I managed to break some of the clips off the back of the trim. This was easily fixed with a little super glue to re affix the clips back on to back of the trim. Once the trim is removed, you can pull the hazard button/relay out of the hole it sits in. Unplug the cable from the back of the relay and attach new relay to cable, slide relay/switch back into hole. Snap trim plate back into place and you are done. You just saved yourself one or two hours of labor charge from a dealer. I am in no way responsible for any dmage done if you follow these instructins. I did it in about 10 minutes.
Thank you Markaross for posting this valuable information...it saved me some money and a lot of headache. I read your post and followed your instructions and I cleaned the 10 pins carefully with a sharp knife...plugged it back and test both signals and it worked. Thank you so much!!!

Hank

Old 06-16-2013, 09:48 AM
1st Gear
Default Why only half the unit works.

The single unit serves two purposes: (1) to work the turn signal when the ignition is switched on ie when you're driving and (2) to work the hazard lights when the ignition is not switched on eg when the vehicke has been left due to breakdown. Therefore, half of the unit can malfunction as yours has.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:45 PM
1st Gear

Did mine a few months back. Use a plastic putty knife to gently pry the bottom of the trim panel up. Start from one side and move across until the whole bottom edge pops up. Then pull the whole panel out from the top This way you won't break any tabs and have to glue them.

Getting the flasher unit out was a bit tricky as well. Take a screw driver, put it behind the lip of the flasher and pull the unit out towards you Make sure when you unplug the unit the wires don't fall back in to dash. The wire is very short.

Overall a simple fix that just takes a little technique and patience that most anyone can do themselves.

Quick Reply: Replacing Turn Signal Relay