Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Right Rear Problem, Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 02:04 PM
1st Gear
Default Right Rear Problem, Help

So I need some help. There seems to be a problem with my right rear tire/suspension. When I hit bumps, no matter how big or small, I hear what sounds like as best I can describe it a cage rattling. It is not a clunky sound, or a thudding sound, but rather sounds like a cheap metal cage rattling. Anybody have any ideas as to what this is and what I have to do to fix it?

Thanks is advance for your help.

Old 08-31-2006, 02:14 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Right Rear Problem, Help

Things to check...

- Muffler hangers
- Insulation surrouncing mufflier (is pretty maleable and can bend and make contact with muffler)
- Belly pan -- if missing screws (common), it can make such a noise
- Trunk (anything rattling around in there?)

Old 08-31-2006, 02:21 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: SouthboroAudiGuy

Things to check...

- Muffler hangers
- Insulation surrouncing mufflier (is pretty maleable and can bend and make contact with muffler)
- Belly pan -- if missing screws (common), it can make such a noise
- Trunk (anything rattling around in there?)
Ha, yeah the first thing I did was look in the trunk. So what do you think I should do, just get under the car and try and move stuff around?

Old 08-31-2006, 02:23 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Ice Train
So what do you think I should do, just get under the car and try and move stuff around?
Yup. Eliminate the easy stuff first. If you still have problems, c'mon back and we can go from there.

Old 09-03-2006, 02:53 PM
3rd Gear

Check the lisence plate braket and make sure its tight. Sometimes they have a metal frame that makes that kind of noise. Also check to make sure the rear brake pad springs arent broken. You can also use a can of lubricant to spary parts of the suspension. If you spary something and the noise goes away you have your culprit.

Old 09-03-2006, 07:07 PM
1st Gear

Well I looked under the car and banged on some stuff, no luck. I had to get it inspected so I did that and asked them to lift the car up and look under it, they banged some stuff, no luck. If it is the liscense plate why is it only doing it when one side of the car goes over a bump but not the other. It needs to be detailed anyway, I guess I will just have the Audi dealership look at it.

Old 09-03-2006, 07:08 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: dankhound

Check the lisence plate braket and make sure its tight. Sometimes they have a metal frame that makes that kind of noise. Also check to make sure the rear brake pad springs arent broken. You can also use a can of lubricant to spary parts of the suspension. If you spary something and the noise goes away you have your culprit.
How do I check to see if the springs are broken? And what should I spray on the suspension? What type of lubricant?

Old 09-04-2006, 02:28 AM
3rd Gear

Depending on your wheels you may be able to reach your hand in and touch the pads thru the top of the caliper. They should should be tight in there. If one or both are loose they can make the sound you describe. As for the lube to use just about any gerneric lube should work. Something like wd40 in a spray can.

Old 09-21-2006, 11:41 AM
1st Gear

So I am brining the car in to get some work done next week and to check out the rear wheel problem. But I was pumping gas last night and decided to kick the tire to see if that made the same noise as when I am driving...and it does. When I kick the rim however there is no noise but that same high pitched rattle is there just by kicking the tire, now I have no idea what it is...not like I did before.