Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Right tail light problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 07:22 PM
1st Gear
Angry Right tail light problem!!!

Ok so here's my problem ... a few weeks ago i got the brake light msg. My brake light/ signal light would only work intermittantly. Took the car to the dealer & they said the whole tail light would have to be replaced - they quoted me $430. So I bought a light on my own & put it in & am still having the same problem!!!! The damn light worked for like 10 minutes then the stupid brake light msg came on again!! Could this be an electrical issue or something? Any feedback would be appreciated .. Thanks!!

Old 07-22-2011, 08:18 PM
1st Gear

This is a rather common problem and is not too difficult to fix (and doesn't cost a thing):
https://www.audiforums.com/forum/aud...e-help-166469/
The short version is that the ground from the taillight assembly needs to be cleaned up. After doing so on our 2008 A6 the problem was gone forever.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:47 AM
1st Gear
Smile Tail light fix

I had the same issue with my tail light not working and tried everything. It was irritating me for months. Sometimes it would work and other days it would not. I noticed a lot of corrosion on the light bulb electrical holder connection when I was replacing the light. So I disconnected the plastic piece that holds the light bulb from the car and took the light bulb out. You should see some metal tabs inside the light bulb holder. If you wire brush those tabs and use a tooth brush with vinegar it should clean them good enough for the light bulb to work with no issues. The bottom tab might also need to be bent upward with a flat head screw driver in order to give more resistance when the light bulb is inserted so it has a better connection. The bottom tab is harder to reach to clean so I used a 1/2" drill bit on my drill gun and lightly scuffed up the surface to clean up the corrosion. This helped solve my tail light issue after buying new parts and being very frustrated. Hope this helps

Old 03-21-2016, 03:59 PM
1st Gear
Default same issue - rr tailight is dead after driving a few min

2005 audi a6 - right rear light message in display. used to take 15 min of driving, now it takes 1. been to the dealer 2-3 times. dealer is stumped. Said they had another one in this week and the same issue with no answer. frustrating. my wife is nervous about a possible accident if the signal light goes off. I replaced the entire holder....no luck...will try the ground.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:33 AM
1st Gear

I have just had similar problem on 2007 A4 - warning light showing the right rear brake & indicator lights are not working. I tried cleaning the contacts on the bulbs and the sockets that they fit into as recommended in another forum with no luck. Then I swapped all 3 left hand bulbs with the right bulbs and the ex-right hand bulbs worked perfectly the left mounting. But nothing doing in the right mounting. And then I accidentally held the mounting by the connecting wiring at the back and the bulbs worked. Removed the connecting cable from the light mounting, did some precautionary cleaning and re-fitted. All good now!

Old 05-30-2016, 06:36 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi A4 1.8t 2003 b6

I have a similar issue my right tail lighy blinks when my lights are on and my left tail blinker just went out.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:48 PM
1st Gear
Default easy fix for tailight

it took me a long time to figure this out the brake light setup is just poor .what i did was cut off the ends coming from the light itself and soldered on new quick connect ends .then i drilled small hole in the frame at the old tabs for the brake light ,soldered on some wires and quick connects now u can plug the lights in there will now b a solid connection no more brake light issue sorry i didnt take pictures but its easy enough i my tubes coming from the light were broken and i figure the connction just get bad after a while

Old 11-07-2020, 08:33 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Trider92
I have a similar issue my right tail lighy blinks when my lights are on and my left tail blinker just went out.
hello did you solved out problem? ??