Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail light problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 05:01 AM
1st Gear
Default Tail light problem

I have an A6 1998 2.4 Sedan.

The car went in for a warrant. The warning light indicating a tail-light bulb was out wason continuously. Theleft sidebulb was replaced at the warrant.

When we got the car back, theleft rear tail-light was not shining as brightly as the other side. Furthermore, the warning light for the bulb comes on each time the brake is applied and gives an annoying beep. The light then goes off until the brake is applied again. As you can imagine, this is very annoying. Our mechanic has tried swapping bulbs around etc to ensure the bulb is not at fault. However, according to the mechanic, it looks like there is a problem in the electric circuit. They did not have time to trace the fault, so the car will have to go back in.

I thought that someone else may have had the same problem so the fault can be pin-pointed quickly instead of costing us mega bucks for the mechanic to play around with it until they find where the fault is.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-28-2007, 04:45 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Tail light problem

A further update.

I have found that the problem mentioned in the previous post seems to alternate between two states:

1. The problem as mentioned in the first post.
2. The warning light (showing a bulb is out) staying on continuously. However, in this state, there is no obvious problem with the lights that can be observed from outside the car.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:02 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Tail light problem

A further update to the last two posts:

I am finding that sometimes the warning light goes off altogether and everything seems fine. Otherwise, it can be in one of the two states previously mentioned.