Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roll or not to Roll

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 11:06 PM
Default Roll or not to Roll

I am new to owning an Audi so please let me know if I am in the wrong. I have an '03 A6 Quatro that has 48K on it. The only other Audi I have ever drivin was an '06 A4 that the dealer loaned my while I was having my A6 repaired. Anyway, the car does not seem to roll. IE when I am off of off the accelerator the car does not want to roll. I know it's hard to describe, but you kinda know what I mean..... Also it seems that it is as a binding on slow left or right sharp turns. Is this a part of the Quatro system or is there something wrong. BTW the A4 did not do any of this.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:13 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Roll or not to Roll

do you mean, when u go from like parking to drive, ur car doesnt roll automatically when u take ur foot off the breaks?

EDIT: about the sharp left or right on slow turns, I HAVE THAT TOO!! and i was wondering about that. It like makes a noise and like feels weird when ur doing a sharp turn going slow like when ur trying to park or something..

Old 01-04-2007, 11:59 PM
3rd Gear

I believe you are describing the same feelings i have while makeing parking lot like manuvers. Do a search for torsen differential and binding or some combination of the sort. If you are describing the binding feeling you feel while making sharp left or right turns at low speeds (like pulling into a parking space) they say this is normal. Now some say there cars do not do this and some say their cars do. All I know is my cars does.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:03 AM
2nd Gear

This binding feeling (as I have been told) is normal for the Quattro system at very slow speeds and with very sharp turns. Other people in the community believe this to be a problem with CV Joints. I had my dealer and a very reliable Audi Indy describe it as a full POSI lockout binding feel (for those of us who own 60's muscle cars, you will understand). I would have your Indy check your ball joints/lube and CV boots just to be safe. I think you will be OK though...It seems to be a popular little quirk of theses cars.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:47 AM

Thanks everyone for the comments! I'm glad to see that I am not the only one who experiences this issue/normal occurance during these times. It it a little odd to me and even harder to explain to the wife that it is normal...

Old 01-09-2007, 01:02 PM

My 2 Cents

dont know if audi 4-wheel drive is engaged or automatic, fluid system or geared... but typically on 4-wheel geared vehicles where you have to setit toLow or High gear, the binding thing at slow, sharpturns seems to be a characteristic of 4-wheel drive vehicles. On auto mode however, where it only engages when a wheel slips, I don't think the binding thing is suppose to occur. But I would suggest running the question by the Dealer. They should have the answers.