Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For sale (soon?): Hypochondriac 2002 A6

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 11:52 PM
Default For sale (soon?): Hypochondriac 2002 A6

This car is unbelievable. I love it, but it tests my patience regularly. In the 3 months I've had it, an oil pressure sensor failed, then the interior trans sensor, then the trans range sensor (exterior) and no less than 4 days after I replace that, I get a new set of lights!! I'm spoiling this car too!! All new fluids (oil, gear, power steering, coolant, etc), all new filters (oil, fuel, air, cabin), new plugs, timing belt job and it still wants more!! It's a female car for sure....

Anyway, enough w/ my rant. Here's what I need help with:

30 seconds into my drive to work today, both the ESP & ABS lights come on. I get home and pull these codes

01119 - Gear Recognition Signal
35-10 - - Intermittent
01435 - Brake Pressure Sensor 1 (G201)
35-10 - - Intermittent

What am I looking for?

Old 09-19-2009, 01:26 PM
2nd Gear

Let me tell you what really sucks. I have the same damn car and have been working on it for 6 months and haven't had any of the problems you have had...YET!

I could have built a killer SS shortbed for the money in this POS. I could have just re built the suspension in my 2500HD so it didn't ride so hard. Why did I buy this car?

Old 09-19-2009, 06:46 PM

I know, I know. I bought the car b/c it looks nice & was well kept - also very low miles (61k now) and is an awesome cruiser! So quiet and smooth. I am SOO close to selling it though and just DD my Z28 convertible - had it 2.5yrs now w/out an issue. It just sucks b/c we're expecting our first child in Jan and my wife has the family vehicle, but the Z28 would be far from the most ideal car for a carseat if ever needed. Of course I'd have to fix any issues to get top dollar when selling and every time I fix something, I think "Well, now that it's fixed, I like it" - then something else goes!! I've owned 4 VWs w/ only one problem (alternator) and always use to talk w/ Audi owners that complained of the constant maintenance and I just figured it was lack of owner's care - I'm really starting to wonder now though.

Anyway, any idea on my new issue?

Old 09-19-2009, 11:43 PM
3rd Gear

Gone Postal & Jackmup, 1st luxury European car isn't it?

They lure you in with their luxury, beauty, prestige, but rob you of all your money 40k+ dollar Euro cars require a lot of constant maintenance.

Buy Japaneese next time

Old 09-19-2009, 11:43 PM
2nd Gear

I scanned my car today and have the same DTC

01119 - Gear Recognition Signal
35-10 - - Intermittent

I don't have any lights on. I have not been able to locate anything in the Bentley manual about it.

I'll keep digging.

In the mean time try clearing the DTC's and see what happens. I seem to remember getting this code before, but it may have been after disconnecting the battery for a while. I just had mine disconnected as you probably did as well with the Timing belt job. It may not make the brake issue go away but if you can get rid of one that would be nice. From what I have read usually the 01119 is related to fault codes in the transmission and since I don't have any I'm not sure what that's really all about.

Last edited by Jackmup; 09-19-2009 at 11:51 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:11 AM
2nd Gear

Can you reach the plug for the transmission range sensor? Or is it buried up in there?

I just read that it could be due to the moisture in the plug. I've been dealing with monsoons down here every night.
I'm going to pop mine blow it out pinch the female terminals and load it full of dielectric grease.

However since that signal comes up under ABS I would imagine that your codes are related to one another. Look for that brake pressure sensor and see if it's wire got pinched from all the work lately. Whenever something goes wrong right after I did a lot of work on it. It usually ends up being something I moved or hit.

The sensor is No. 8, so basically it's right where you put your tools when working on the engine.

Name:  pressuresensor.jpg
Views: 3584
Size:  55.2 KB

Name:  pressuresensorno8.jpg
Views: 3237
Size:  39.2 KB

Old 09-20-2009, 09:15 PM

Well, from my research via Google, the gear recognition problem is a mystery - came across multiple threads where people had it, but couldn't trace the issue. Seems Vag-com & Bentley are extremely vague about it too. My other problem w/ the pressure sensor can be traced to multiple issues (based on other threads I've read), but it can be from a faulty brake switch (brake lights & signal comes too early or too late from when the ABS detects line pressure) or it can be a fault w/ the pressure switch or the ABS module itself (I've read that the sensor is built into the module?!?). Anyway, I'm starting to wonder if my two new issues are module related? I've also read something on ross-tech wiki (http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/Main_Page) and it mentions that the brake pressure could be due to improper basic setting. Not sure what this is?

I use to get the gear recognition one before I replaced the trans range switch and figured it was related. I'll double check my connection and add dielectric - and yes, the connection is VERY easy to get too - just remove bottom tray and it's right by the flimsy metal bracket that the back 3 tray bolts go to (driver's side). I'll check that diagram area too and check out that connection.

I also cleared the codes and they came back instantly when I started the car and put my foot on the brake. They are intermittent though.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:15 PM
2nd Gear

Sell that POS before you put any more money into it. If you like Audi get a A8 with a 4.2. Mine is nice - no problems, little **** like a window reg and reg service.

I am totally loosing patience with mine. If this were a few years ago when I was making money I would rip the top off this thing fill it with topsoil and plant flowers in it and mail it to Audi.

Here's my promise,

If the economy ever comes back and I make some money again. I'll rent two 300 excavators and we'll chain these cars to the stick and beat them together. I'll have BMW as a sponser and we'll do it on National TV. We'll teach them for sending these 3.0's to America. I am so "Far-From-Groovin" right now!

Last edited by Jackmup; 09-21-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:57 PM
3rd Gear

No one sells a 5 year old car because it's pristine and trouble free. I've owned my A6 since 4/2005 and have had to replace the alternator, clutch,and flywheel. And cap off the headlight washers. All maintenance done regularly and lots of highway miles. She turned 148k this weekend. I'm kinda scared that she has been so trouble free.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by ppgoal
No one sells a 5 year old car because it's pristine and trouble free. I've owned my A6 since 4/2005 and have had to replace the alternator, clutch,and flywheel. And cap off the headlight washers. All maintenance done regularly and lots of highway miles. She turned 148k this weekend. I'm kinda scared that she has been so trouble free.
On contrary, most people sell 5yr old cars b/c their warranty is over. I don't mind little things and actually expect them - that's why I ALWAYS change all fluids and even send off an oil sample for analysis when I buy a "new" car so that I have a baseline and know the true health of the motor. I scanned this car w/ VAG-COM shortly after buying and it had a few intermittent codes - stupid crap like door lock didn't work, right front speaker - crap that probably popped up once and it's stored b/c all of those items work. BUT, in 3 months of ownership, various sensors and switches going bad are getting old. If this is the last time for a year or so, then I'm fine - just seems every time I fix one, another goes...

Quick Reply: For sale (soon?): Hypochondriac 2002 A6