Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scratch on MMI display...??

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 06:34 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Scratch on MMI display...??

I am going to try for the third time. I have a C6, unlike most particpants on this forum. I have lived with myMMI screen for three years. I understand your problem with the screen. I have concluded that the marks are caused by the spray used at many hand car washes. To complicate matters the MMI screen is a soft material. It is not going to respond well to items designed for hard plastic. I have tried many things over the last three years. I am once again suggesting that you try using Plexus.

If the "scratch, mark or swirl" has penetrated the soft MMI cover and damaged the underlying MMI screen then I don't know what could help.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:28 PM
3rd Gear

Damn -- Kevin is a persistent guy! [sm=headbang.gif]

Maybe we should listen to him! [sm=wakeup.gif]

Old 03-05-2008, 12:43 PM
1st Gear

Well...I ordered it so I'll see what happens with Plexus. Thanks guys

Old 03-05-2008, 07:52 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: NH_USA

Damn -- Kevin is a persistent guy! [sm=headbang.gif]

Maybe we should listen to him! [sm=wakeup.gif]
Somehow my wife keeps saying no.[sm=headbang.gif]

Old 03-06-2008, 09:09 AM
3rd Gear

Why are wives always right????
[sm=oopssign.gif]

Old 03-08-2008, 08:55 AM
1st Gear

Plexus DID NOT work. I think I am going to ask the dealer to replace this since I just bought it. It might take me some convincing and phone calls.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:44 AM
2nd Gear

The screen is a soft screen, I wonder if the damage is below the screen? The actual MMI unit is going to be big bucks.It is a shame you did not see it when you test drove the car. Good luck with the dealer.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:59 AM
1st Gear

I have a good business case...I was trying to look at it during day light but because they kept delaying (maybe bcuz of this) it was almost dawn and the scractch doesnt show up during evening and night time. I already asked audi dealer for the cost and it's around $1500 w/install...no way I am paying that

Old 03-09-2008, 07:40 AM
2nd Gear

The MMI, at least while in navigation mode, has a day mode and a night mode. If you turn on the navigation map at night, and turn off the headlight and running lights, thereby forcing the MMI systeminto day mode, dothe "scratches" go away? If so,the problem may bewith the MMI and not the screen. Perhaps some of the black pixels, whichare used to a greater extentin night mode, aredamaged. I wonder if the car's 7 month hibernation may have resulted in some of the pixels "freezing".

While it is a longshot, it may also be either the MMI software of the Nav software. There were many "bugs" in the early software of both that caused owners to experience many different problems. I know we discussed this on your thread regarding the bluetooth phone. To check the MMI version in your car, start the car and press the "car" MMI button. The MMI screen will then have the word version in the bottom right hand corner. Press the bottom right MMI button and a screen will pop up with the first line starting with SW for software. In mine it reads: something likeSW C6 HU 33.60. The spaces with the 33.60 in my example are for the software version. I would be interested in what version is installed in your car.

In addition to the MMI software, some of the earlier MMI bugs were fixed by upgrading the Navigation software. If youopen your trunk and remove the cover on the left side you will see a DVD player. Pop the eject button and the NavigationDVD will pop out. What version is written on the DVD?I would also be curious to see what Navigation version you are running.

Can you post pictures of the problem?

Old 03-09-2008, 09:50 AM
1st Gear

Software version is upto date...verified by dealer when I took in the car 2 days ago. Swirl scratches that is internal bcuz you dont feel them from outside doesnt show up with dark and bright background. It only shows up when sun is bright and reflects on the screen. I'll post some pictures later today. Thanks Kevin

Quick Reply: Scratch on MMI display...??