Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

seat heater slow to warm up

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 07:23 PM
3rd Gear
Default seat heater slow to warm up

My drivers side seat heater takes about 20 mins to reach the same temp that the passenger side seat reaches in about 5 mins.

Any suggestions? I am open to any ideas.

Jeff

In my past Volvo's/Saab's I ripped the skins off the seats and repaired broken wires to fix non functional seat heaters. But I have never had one work, but just take 20 mins or so to get hot.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:32 PM
Banned

mine is about the same thing

Old 12-03-2008, 11:09 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Jeffla
My drivers side seat heater takes about 20 mins to reach the same temp that the passenger side seat reaches in about 5 mins.

Any suggestions? I am open to any ideas.

Jeff

In my past Volvo's/Saab's I ripped the skins off the seats and repaired broken wires to fix non functional seat heaters. But I have never had one work, but just take 20 mins or so to get hot.
Sounds like the element is not fully energizing. Think of a toaster; the element inside is being enerigized, thus creating heat. Cut that element in half and it is not able to produce as much heat as before.

I believe the element is only partially working. Might have to replace the elemnt, if possible

Hope this helps

Old 12-03-2008, 11:52 PM
3rd Gear

At least in the Saabs/volvos if the wire was broken at all they did not work. I plan on taking off the seat skin one of these weekends and looking around. I am trying to source automotive electric resistance wire to just replace the whole thing myself. If anyone knows where you can buy such wire let me know. Google only brings me to importing 500ft from india/china.

Jeff

Old 12-04-2008, 07:08 AM
2nd Gear

If the wire in the seat was broken, the seat would not heat up at all. You need to figure out where the rheostat for the temperature is and replace that.

Bob

Old 12-04-2008, 11:18 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by bob martin
If the wire in the seat was broken, the seat would not heat up at all. You need to figure out where the rheostat for the temperature is and replace that.

Bob

After fiquring out what a rheostat was, I believe you are correct. Now I just need to figure out where it is. Hopefully the Bentley will have it in there.

Rheostat:
# A variable resistor.

# Two terminal variable resistor used to control current.

# An electrical instrument for regulating the amount of resistance in a circuit.

# An electrical appliance used to raise or lower the resistance of a circuit and correspondingly to decrease or increase the current flowing.

# Device used to control the flow of electricity to a soldering iron and thus control the amount of heat generated at the tip.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:49 PM
2nd Gear

One would think it is the thumb wheel. try swapping your passenger and driver's thumbwheel. Otherwise, the thumbwheel varies a resistor that varies another resistor and you will have to find the second resistor which is probably in the seat.

Bob

Old 12-04-2008, 11:51 PM
3rd Gear

of course the rheostat would be the switch. Duh, never even thought of that. I will swap them sometime soon and let you know what happens. I could also measure the voltage at the element on both the driver and passenger side to see if they vary at all.

Thanks for the help Bob