Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Required message

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 11:48 AM
1st Gear
Default Service Required message

I am getting Inspection or Service message on the screen where odometer is in my 98 2.8 C5. I know its hard to diagnose it with just that much of info but i have replaced compressor and alternator in last one year. I am wondering if it could be anything to do with transmission coz once in a while i do hear loud clunk when i move from park to Drive. Im a little scared coz ive heard transmission means minimum $1k I hope im wrong

Old 08-04-2011, 03:53 PM
2nd Gear

The Service indicator is a preset message that comes up every 10k (or whatever value was set by the last dealership). There is a certain combination of buttons you have to press to acknowledge the message and set it back to 10k again. If you have a vag com you can also set it back that way.

Basically it is just an indicator that you should pay your Audi dealership a visit so they can make money off of you in case you don't do preventative maintenance
most service intervals are basic and simple stuff:
-Visual inspection of Belts and leaks
-Oil change
-Filter changes (air and cabin)
-etc

Of course there are also the major ones, where you should replace the timing belt with pulley's and water pump. Then they also usually discover around 100k or less you need new control arm bushings and possible front axles. Anyhow this indicator does NOT MEAN THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH YOUR CAR. It is simply a reminder to say hello to your dealership.

Last edited by sheldon; 08-04-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:51 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by sheldon
The Service indicator is a preset message that comes up every 10k (or whatever value was set by the last dealership). There is a certain combination of buttons you have to press to acknowledge the message and set it back to 10k again. If you have a vag com you can also set it back that way.

Basically it is just an indicator that you should pay your Audi dealership a visit so they can make money off of you in case you don't do preventative maintenance
most service intervals are basic and simple stuff:
-Visual inspection of Belts and leaks
-Oil change
-Filter changes (air and cabin)
-etc

Of course there are also the major ones, where you should replace the timing belt with pulley's and water pump. Then they also usually discover around 100k or less you need new control arm bushings and possible front axles. Anyhow this indicator does NOT MEAN THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH YOUR CAR. It is simply a reminder to say hello to your dealership.
Feels so good to hear this. I was worried i might just have to take my next entire paychek to the mechanic.. lol

Old 08-04-2011, 06:29 PM
2nd Gear

The only time you should be worried is if you see the check engine light come one ... that one does mean there is something wrong.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:57 AM

My ln 2 was flashing at me like crazy. I think the previous owner got an oil change every 300 miles or something insane like that. So, I took it in for an oil change and I'm hoping that's all it is. The previous owner also drove the crap out of the car so I'm guessing that's why there is an oil change every 2-3 months in the service record papers.

I hope that its something simple for you as well!