Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service! Warning - what does it mean?

Old 05-07-2008, 06:18 PM
1st Gear
Default Service! Warning - what does it mean?

Let me preface this by saying that I do not have the owners manual to my car (dealer ordered me one but it ain't here yet) and I am an Audi noob, so this might be easily explained.

I was driving my 01 A6 4.2 to Charlotte last weekend and 2 hours into the trip, my message screen starts blinking "2:00h" and would change to 3:00h and so on for every hour that I drove. I didn't really have anywhere to stop and the car was running fine, so I kept going.I got to Charlotte and parked the car overnight. Get up the next morning and theres no CEL and everything seems fine. On the drive home - the same thing happened. Now when I start the car and put it in drive, "Service!" pops up for about 5 seconds on the message screen with "OK"reading above it. Went to Advance Auto Parts to pull the codes - no codes returned. Wtf? Does anybody know what this means?

Old 05-07-2008, 07:28 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Service! Warning - what does it mean?

That's just telling you to stop and take a rest... you know you're supposed to stop every 2 hrs on a long trip! It means nothing bad.... just press the reset button and it'll stop blingking 2hours and continue time counting.... Service means just that... your car computer is telling you the car needs to get serviced, the mileage interval since the last reset/service has been reached... how many miles do you have?
No worries..
BTW, let me know next time you stop by CLT, I live in CLT... we might be abel to meet.
Where are you from?

Old 05-07-2008, 08:11 PM
1st Gear

That's good news! I've got 88000 miles and I need to take it to my mechanic to go over it anyway. I was definitely freaking out a little though- especially after reading all of the horror stories on this forum. My buddy was busting my ***** and repeatedly said "I told you not to get an Audi!" He drives a Lexus.

I'm from Leesburg, VA (about 45 minutes west of DC) and I'll definitely let you know the next time I head to Charlotte, gigi. My buddy (with the Lexus) justbought a place in Ballantyne. I have never seen so many hot blondesdriving luxury cars in one place - it was awesome.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:20 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Pig Farmer

Let me preface this by saying that I do not have the owners manual to my car (dealer ordered me one but it ain't here yet) and I am an Audi noob, so this might be easily explained.

I was driving my 01 A6 4.2 to Charlotte last weekend and 2 hours into the trip, my message screen starts blinking "2:00h" and would change to 3:00h and so on for every hour that I drove. I didn't really have anywhere to stop and the car was running fine, so I kept going.I got to Charlotte and parked the car overnight. Get up the next morning and theres no CEL and everything seems fine. On the drive home - the same thing happened. Now when I start the car and put it in drive, "Service!" pops up for about 5 seconds on the message screen with "OK"reading above it. Went to Advance Auto Parts to pull the codes - no codes returned. Wtf? Does anybody know what this means?
This thread may help explain the "2:00H" and "3:00H" warning lights you saw on your trip.
https://www.audiforums.com/m_661881/tm.htm

The "Service" light you see is just the car telling you are due for an oil change. The next time you change your oil and mechanic resets the service light, the "Service" warning should also go away. Your car is fine don't worry!

Old 05-07-2008, 10:05 PM
2nd Gear

Hey PF,

I live in ballantyne! You know the name of the place your bud lives in

Lexus guys, they're haters All the guys here with the new IS want to race me ah ah!

yeah I love going out around here, lots of talent!!! but don't tell my wife

Old 05-08-2008, 07:25 PM
1st Gear

Hey gigi - Not sure the name of the place he lives. Off Johnston (I think this was the name of the road)- took a right on Marvin and histownhouse is right there on the corner. And yeah - hes got a whiteIS 300. Go figure.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:37 PM
2nd Gear

that's like 5 minutes from my house
come back this summer and go to Villa Antoniio after dinenr hours, it is a classy upscale rstaurant in ballantyne village that turns into a nice bar scene/dance cub after dinner... lots lots lots of talent there!!! YOu won't leave alone if you don't want to!

Old 05-11-2008, 02:49 PM
1st Gear

Does anyone know how to reset the oil change Service! light? I got my oil changed around 2000 miles ago and when I was at the dealer they wouldn't reset it because they had not performed an oil change.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:08 PM
1st Gear

To reset the service warning, just turn the ignition on while holding down the button under the speedometer, but don't start the car. Service will appear on the display. Keep holdling the button under the speedo and press the button to the left under the Tach. This will reset the service warning.You can set it for how long you want it. Good Luck.