Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should I chip?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 06:58 PM
1st Gear
Default should I chip?

I got a 2001 A6 2.7T with the auto/tip trans. The car has about 130000 miles on it and i was wondering, ifI chipped it with an APR chip, do you think the turbos would blow? The car was never really driven hard and I'm looking to put some power into it.

Old 01-28-2007, 10:36 PM
Default RE: should I chip?

Hello, I am probably not the one to answer because I have only owned an Audi for a few months; But I read a lot about blowing turbos in this forum and I really do not understand ? I have owned several Mr2 turbos and there is really no such thing. Turbos have static seals--another words the only seal they have is the pressure barrier between the the two sides. There is no physical seal to blow. Bumping up your boost may blow something else but generally not likely. Increasing boost may make you burn a bit leaner which can cause detonation but not if you take precautions. All I am saying is I do not think upping your boost will harm your turbos. Sorry to go on so much. Good luck to you as I need it too !

Old 01-28-2007, 11:47 PM
2nd Gear

It all depends on how your car is equpped and what mods you've already done to it...

If you don't have the OEM sport suspension, I'd recommend a suspension upgrade before chipping it. The 2.7T already has a lot of power out of the gate -- more than you can ever use in a turn with a stock suspension. An upgrade to a sport suspension will be very worthwhile. Whether or not you have the sport suspension, upgraded sway bars (H-sports are very popular around here) is also a great mod (and a fun DIY).

Depending on the wheels you've got now, an upgrade there will also be a huge improvement. I upgraded from 01 sport wheels (16x7) to some 17x8 BBS wheels and loved the improved performance.

As far as chipping, you may want to consider upgrading a few other things before doing it -- particulary given the mileage on your car. First, the diverter valves -- I'd suggest replacing the ones you have with 710Ns (OEM TT DVs) -- they run about $40 per. The other thing to watch out for is the throttle body boot (TBB) - the stock one tends to tear and cause loss of boost. You can either replace it with the Samco hose or the APR bi-pipe. Another thing to check (depending on you date of manufacture) is the F-hose -- another thing that can tear. You only have it if you're early MY 01.

Chipping can be a great way of milking more performance out of the 2.7T engine, but I don't think it makes sense unless you've got an upgraded suspension & wheels -- keeping the car in balance will result in a more rewarding experience than having a car that can only go fast in a straight line.

As far as your turbos blowing... it all depends on how you treat it and how it's been treated in the past. I would never think about chipping until I did the mods I've listed above (DVs, TBB upgrade, etc.). These are all steps that will protect your tubo from getting bitten by the additional stresses put on them when you chip. Even with these mods, it still makes sense to always (chipped or not) follow the good rules of turbo ownership: Gentle warm up (keep engine RPM below 3k) until the oil temp is over 175 and gentle cool down before shutting things down. Doesn't mean you have to sit in the drive way idling -- just keep it easy for the last few miles on the way home.

Good luck.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:44 PM
1st Gear

Thanks alot, both of you. Southboro, I'm running completely stock, so I'll definately look into some of those mods you suggested before I decided whether or not to chip it. thanks again.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:12 PM
3rd Gear

After reading what Southboro and others said in this forum, going back into early last year, I installed a GIAC chip AND Bailey Diverters AND a Samco TBB. The latter to prevent problems. The chip did make a big difference in performance. From what I have read, you may also want to chip your Tiptronic to get better shifts. I have an MT6 so was saved that expense. But with more power comes more wear/tear on other parts and now I need a clutch after 10k miles (total of 89k on the car).Planningto installa stage2 Awe this week.

2003 A6 2.7T MT6

Old 02-01-2007, 01:09 PM
2nd Gear

Look into H-sport sway bars. They seem to be the best bang for your buck

Old 09-12-2011, 01:14 AM
1st Gear

Same question as to chipping the car, but i got 68000 miles on mine so what other up grades would i need before doing so?

2004 audi a6 2.7t s-line
auto tiptronic