Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smells like burning oil

Old 10-16-2004, 08:55 PM
GSA
Default Smells like burning oil

Hi i have a 99 A6 Qtro. (80K)I give it a regular oil change, however recently when driving it, after a while, i start to get a smell like burning oil so i stop the car and check it, and its fine. I cant see any visable leaks anywhere. Its strange and quite annoying because i think when i smell it that im outa oil and my engine will blow... Any suggestions as to what it may be?
Thanks.
G

Old 10-27-2004, 03:02 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Smells like burning oil

does the oil light come on at all when u smell it burning? if there is a good amount of oil in the car there shouldnt be any damage done to the engine. if u park your car for a while and go back to it, is there any oil puddles from ur car to show u a sign of leaking?

Old 11-05-2004, 12:07 AM
GSA

No oil light comes on also just had it serviced and asked audi to check 4 leaks and they didnt find any. They said maybe when the oil was changed some may have dripped on the the manifold and when the exhaust gets hot it starts to smell. Hmmmm thats what i say to them...... I had already thought of that...... But no visible oil leaks and no oil light comes on. However when i do start the car where the mileage tripometer is it says and flashes OIL. then when i drive off it goes away. But i think that means it needs an oil change right?! but i have just had it all done.... Oh well i appreciate your help in this and i guess it will just be a mystery :-)

Old 11-05-2004, 01:04 PM

the oil light flashes until you start driving away it might come on in some cold mornings but not for long check your oil dipstick is that up to the full mark before you start the car in the morning

Old 01-13-2007, 02:11 PM

I have a 96 2.8 A6 Avant, It has burned a bit of oil since I purchased it, however in the last month I have begun noticing a burnt oil smell when the heater is on. The smell comes and goes... any ideas?

Old 01-13-2007, 10:37 PM
1st Gear

Are you sure it smells like burning oil and not burning rubber? I have the same problem but only smell it after the car is parked. It's probably my valve cover gaskets. I'm going to change them out soon and then I'll be able to tell if that was in fact the cause of the smell.

Old 01-14-2007, 07:13 AM

madridlover Date 1/13/2007 7:37:26 PM Are you sure it smells like burning oil and not burning rubber? I have the same problem but only smell it after the car is parked. It's probably my valve cover gaskets. I'm going to change them out soon and then I'll be able to tell if that was in fact the cause of the smell.
Hey if you get a chance when you change your valve cover gaskets can you take pics and post as much info as possible. I have the same burning smell issue and was unable to find the answer. I haven't tried replacing the valve cover gaskets, so I want to see whats all involved in that process. Oh, 2000 A6 2.7T, AT btw. Thanks

Old 01-14-2007, 05:55 PM
3rd Gear

I was smelling oil while coming to stop lights recently and finally tracked down the problem to http://www.purems.com/products/product.php/II=1584

It is a breather line. I did not buy a new one. I of course being the white trash that I am, spent an afternoon making a colar to fit inside and clamping it down. Works great, I will buy a new one the next time I buy a batch of parts so I know it will last.

Maybe this is your problem, just remove the vanity cover on top of your engine and you will see it. Mine was so brittle I broke more of it just touching it.

Jeff

Old 01-15-2007, 01:09 AM
1st Gear

Great info. I'll check that when I open her up.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:41 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: GSA

Hi i have a 99 A6 Qtro. (80K)I give it a regular oil change, however recently when driving it, after a while, i start to get a smell like burning oil so i stop the car and check it, and its fine. I cant see any visable leaks anywhere. Its strange and quite annoying because i think when i smell it that im outa oil and my engine will blow... Any suggestions as to what it may be?
Thanks.
G
Hey man its the valve cover gaskets, i had the same problem and replaced them at an indy for 300. its not that bad, and its worth the peace of mind. There are some good parts dealers online that sell em for cheap. Good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Smells like burning oil