Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smells like burning oil

Old 01-17-2007, 04:07 PM
Default RE: Smells like burning oil

So the popular answer is the vavle cover gasket. I see in the rear of the engine some definite oil leakiage buildup. I think that corralates to a valve cover gasket, the bitch of it is, I just had my water pump / timing chain replaced a month ago, I wish they took care of then... oh well . - thanks for the advice.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:01 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Lasting damage? Smells like burning oil

Hi all,

I have been searching this forum and audiworld on this burning oil smell problem- I seem to have it too. If it is the valvecovergasketor whatever- is it possible that there may have been any lasting damage to the engine or once replaced things are back to 'normal'?

I've just handed my keys to a audi dealer here in the UK- hopefully it's not totally bad news!

Thanks.

Old 02-06-2007, 10:32 AM
1st Gear

Update fellas. Two weekends ago witht the help of a buddy I replaced the follwing items in an attempt to fix this burining oil/rubber smell:
[ol][*]Valve Cover Gaskets[*]Spark Plugs[*]Spark Plug Wires[*]Breather Hose[*]Suction Pump[*]Air Filter[*]Cabin Filter[*]Oil Change[/ol]
Since I was going to be doing so much work, I figured why not perform a tune up on it...the car has 83k miles on it so it was about time. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pics because it was cold here and I wanted to get done as soon as possible. Anyways, replacing the valve cover gaskets has definitely fixed the burning smell. When I removed the beauty covers (the black plastic covers over the valve covers) it became obvious that the gaskets had failed because you could see visible signs of oil seapage around the cover and around the spark plug wells. If you go to www.audiworld.com there are write-ups on changing valve cover gaskets that I used which helped me immensly.
All in all, it took us about 8 hrs but that's because we changed the suction pump and breather hose which is a PITA to change. I suggest that if you change your valve cover gaskets you should change out your breather hose and suction pump as they are known to clog up causing back pressure which in turn blows the valve cover gaskets.
Now my car rides smoother, idles better, and even starts better when it's not cold.
Hope this helps.
Good luck!!

Old 02-06-2007, 10:52 AM
1st Gear

Madrid' - thanks for the info/update.

I wish I had the ability to do it all myself too- no probs in stripping down and rebuilding main frame computers but car engines- nope!

Anyway, hopefully theAudi dealer will replace whatever is necessary to get it good again.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:55 PM
1st Gear

If you're not going to do it yourself, you might want to have an indy Audi mechanic perform the work. It'll be a lot cheaper than the stealer..

Old 02-06-2007, 04:55 PM
1st Gear

If you're not going to do it yourself, you might want to have an indy Audi mechanic perform the work. It'll be a lot cheaper than the stealer..

Old 02-06-2007, 05:33 PM
1st Gear

I keep hearing about these indy Audi mechanics are these guys nationwide or what??

Old 02-06-2007, 06:59 PM
1st Gear

yes, basically any mechanic shops that specialize in German cars.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:57 PM
1st Gear
Default Smell has gone! RE: Lasting damage? Smells like burning oil

Just an update...

Got my car back from the audi dealer- turns out that the rocker cover gaskets (x2) were leaking. Total cost was just slightly over £300 GBP- obviously about 85% for labour!

Anyway a good job was done- engine fully steamed cleaned- looking like new and best of over smell has totally gone. A much more smoother ride too.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:30 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Smell has gone! RE: Lasting damage? Smells like burning oil

had the same experience. had to replace oil seals in engine. oil wasnt dripping i could just smell it. it was pretty expensive to fix. i went ahead and did the timing belt and water pump too. 1500.00

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Smells like burning oil