Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow Tires / Chainrs / Winter in Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 08:50 PM
1st Gear
Default Snow Tires / Chainrs / Winter in Tahoe

I have an '02 A6 Quattro, and I am considering buying snow tires and/or chains for the upcoming winter and trips to Tahoe.

From what I hear, CHP is pretty serious about requiring people to have snow chains before driving through tahoe in the winter time. I've been through the donner pass when it was snowing (not that hard), and I'm from the east coast, so I have a lot of experience driving in snow, and with FWD cars.

So is all the warning about snowchains 4WD vehicles only just because California drivers have so little experience with snow? Or is the volume of snow in tahoe / plowing conditions so bad that it is actually necessary?

First - the Chains:
I have heard some bad things about chains not working well with audi, scratching wheels, or breaking and putting a dent in the car.

However, I saw these guys: http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0035811521884a.shtml, the SnoClays which look more like rubber straps. Anyone have any experience with them?

2nd - Snow Tires
One friend of mine with an A4 said to just get snow tires and you're fine with a quattro.

Also, I am assuming that the CHP treats AWD just like 4WD - is that correct?

Any suggestions would be helpful!

Old 11-09-2008, 12:19 AM
3rd Gear

For tahoe, snow chains are not required for AWD or 4WD cars with all season tires. (not summer tires) Winter tires are not required either. Although they recommend that you carry chains, they won't require you to put it on. By the way, if you have ESP on your car, then turn it off when it is snowing hard.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:27 PM
3rd Gear

It's not called the Donner Pass because of a few flakes of snow. If you're going to be doing a lot of driving through there, I'd look into Blizzaks and consider a set of chains in the trunk. I've had no problems in 6-8" of snow but over that it starts to hit the bottom of the car, cause lift, and then the all-seasons lose traction.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:16 PM
3rd Gear

Anything more the 8" of snow on the road, they will close the road.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:56 PM
3rd Gear

All season tires - OK

Chains on the tires - never on my Audi - too much chance of messing thing up

Chain in trunk - OK just remember that there are tow hooks on many Audi's to help over confident drivers get out of snow banks and small ditches...

Old 11-10-2008, 03:17 PM
2nd Gear

Hxgaser,

What do you mean with
"if you have ESP on your car, then turn it off when it is snowing hard"?

Isn't ESP supposed to be used in slippery conditions?

Old 11-10-2008, 04:14 PM
3rd Gear

ESP works well on conditions where traction is lost temporarily on normal driving condition. Under heavy snow, your wheels are constantly slipping and sliding, and your ESP will not be able to deal with it. Unless your car has a specific snow or winter mode, you should just turn off the ESP. Otherwise your ESP light will be blinking like a christmas tree.